Ron Gilbert readies new adventure
Credited with being one of the masterminds behind the hit Monkey Island series of adventure games at LucasArts, game designer Ron Gilbert is set to step back into the limelight via a new PC adventure title, called Deathspank.
The new title is said to be a bit like "Monkey Island meets Diablo" (thanks RPS), and Gilbert could be found talking up the importance of indie developed titles at last week's Penny Arcade expo stateside.
Chatting at PAX, Gilbert lamented the commercialisation of the industry, and said indie creations should be celebrated.
"The games industry [has become] just that.. an industry," the veteran railed.
"Big companies need to be safe. This is why indie games excite me. They have the freedom to fail. Games are art that is meant to be lived, not viewed. What Hollywood fails to understand is that games are an art form; they are not toys. The worst way to tell a story in games is by a series of cutscenes interspersed between action [scenes]."
Do you agree with Ron?
- Microsoft announces the feature list for the November Xbox One update
- EA Sports patches in some more missing features for the next-gen versions of NHL 15
- Blizzard begins rolling out a new patch for Starcraft II
- Far Cry 4 Season Pass details announced
- Shinji Mikami: I never use women as objects in my games
- Microsoft releases the first trailer for Halo: Nightfall TV series, first episode to premiere at Halo Fanfest
- Silence – The Whispered World 2 announced for Xbox One
- Titanfall to get its very own Horde mode called Frontier Defense
- John Riccitiello joins Unity as their new CEO