No Spider-Man font for PS3 Slim
One of the hallmarks of the PlayStation 3 has, since launch, been the distinctive 'Spider-Man' font used for the console's name on the beast's facade. This has now been dispensed with for the PS3 Slim, which will instead sport a newly stylised 'PS3' on it's facade.
Why was the font dropped in the first place however? This from SCE boss Kaz Hirai, talking to The Times:
"We wanted to make sure that we set a new direction for the PS3. The PS logo with the capital P and small S has always been our logo, has always been synonymous with video games and I wanted to reset the thinking. Also internally I wanted to send the message internally that we are resetting the thinking, going back to our roots.
"What better way to do it than by resetting the logo? That puts the entire organisation on its toes. On a practical level, when you have PlayStation 3 spelt out, the aspect ratio was such that if you wanted it on a billboard it became tiny. It didn't work in terms of visibility."
It sounds as if the new-look logo is here to stay, then. More PS3 news soon.
- Borderlands 2 writer leaving Gearbox to join Freddie Wong's RocketJump production company
- Bloodborne will be harder than Demon's Souls and features procedurally generated dungeons
- Hearthstone users pass the 75 million mark, new expansion on the way says new report
- Square Enix unveils the Final Fantasy Type-0 Collector's Edition
- Life Is Strange arrives today
- SEGA cuts jobs in the biggest strategic shift since they binned the Dreamcast
- Big new update arrives for Frozen Cortex
- Introversion's Prison Architect will see its full launch this year, mobile version announced
- Ken Levine's next game is a first-person sci-fi title