No Spider-Man font for PS3 Slim
One of the hallmarks of the PlayStation 3 has, since launch, been the distinctive 'Spider-Man' font used for the console's name on the beast's facade. This has now been dispensed with for the PS3 Slim, which will instead sport a newly stylised 'PS3' on it's facade.
Why was the font dropped in the first place however? This from SCE boss Kaz Hirai, talking to The Times:
"We wanted to make sure that we set a new direction for the PS3. The PS logo with the capital P and small S has always been our logo, has always been synonymous with video games and I wanted to reset the thinking. Also internally I wanted to send the message internally that we are resetting the thinking, going back to our roots.
"What better way to do it than by resetting the logo? That puts the entire organisation on its toes. On a practical level, when you have PlayStation 3 spelt out, the aspect ratio was such that if you wanted it on a billboard it became tiny. It didn't work in terms of visibility."
It sounds as if the new-look logo is here to stay, then. More PS3 news soon.
- Microsoft announces the feature list for the November Xbox One update
- EA Sports patches in some more missing features for the next-gen versions of NHL 15
- Blizzard begins rolling out a new patch for Starcraft II
- Far Cry 4 Season Pass details announced
- Shinji Mikami: I never use women as objects in my games
- Microsoft releases the first trailer for Halo: Nightfall TV series, first episode to premiere at Halo Fanfest
- Silence – The Whispered World 2 announced for Xbox One
- Titanfall to get its very own Horde mode called Frontier Defense
- John Riccitiello joins Unity as their new CEO