PlayStation Eye can already do facial recognition
According to Sony, some of the same tech that powers Project Natal is already in their PlayStation Eye camera.
SCEE research and development bods at this year's Develop said that the camera is capable of detecting the "position and direction" of your head, the "gender and age of a face" and facial expressions such as smiles.
The peripheral can also recognise each part of the face, like eyes, nose and mouth, even detecting things like glasses and so on.
PlayStation Eye is to be used in conjunction with Sony's new motion controller as demonstrated at E3 and again during Brighton's Develop conference.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3