iPhone could be gaming giant
The iPhone / iPod Touch gaming platform is a titan in the making, or so we're repeatedly told, but exactly how big could Apple's format become in gaming terms?
Well, a new graph compiled by Gizmodo reveals that the installed base for the format is already bigger than the PS3 or the Xbox 360, and it is also rapidly approaching the level of the Wii and PSP.
The App Store has of course been one of the big driver's of iPhone sales, although it is worth noting that only a fraction of users currently play games. Still, with Apple upping the power of the device via the iPhone 3GS, it seems only a matter of time before the system's clout increases.
As of June, the iPhone / iPod Touch has managed over 40 million sales, well ahead of Sony and Microsoft's consoles, and closing rapidly on the 50 million-plus levels of the PSP and Wii.
More on the iPhone's rise as we get it.
- Thomas Was Alone gets a release date for PS4 and Wii U
- New Warframe update adds space-flight to the gameplay with Archwing mode
- New poll indicates that people believe online gaming is “the least welcoming space” for women
- CD Projekt RED releases The Trail, the opening cinematic from The Witcher 3
- New Project CARS trailer pulls up to the starting grid
- Far Cry 4 dev says linear games will suffer in the new world of gameplay video sharing
- Almost 1,100 developers, students and journalists sign the new #gamediversity petition embracing diversity in games
- Felicia Day breaks her silence about #Gamergate, is almost immediately doxxed
- Ubisoft announces PC specs for Assassin's Creed: Unity and they're killer