iPhone could be gaming giant
The iPhone / iPod Touch gaming platform is a titan in the making, or so we're repeatedly told, but exactly how big could Apple's format become in gaming terms?
Well, a new graph compiled by Gizmodo reveals that the installed base for the format is already bigger than the PS3 or the Xbox 360, and it is also rapidly approaching the level of the Wii and PSP.
The App Store has of course been one of the big driver's of iPhone sales, although it is worth noting that only a fraction of users currently play games. Still, with Apple upping the power of the device via the iPhone 3GS, it seems only a matter of time before the system's clout increases.
As of June, the iPhone / iPod Touch has managed over 40 million sales, well ahead of Sony and Microsoft's consoles, and closing rapidly on the 50 million-plus levels of the PSP and Wii.
More on the iPhone's rise as we get it.
- Blizzard aiming to release Hearthstone on Android tablets by the end of the year
- Former BioWare man Casey Hudson hints at an Oculus Rift project
- Dark Souls on PC to switch from Games For Windows Live to Steam next month
- Square Enix announces details and pricing on the premium livestream of Final Fantasy XIV Fan Festival 2014
- First Challenge Mode DLC arrives next week for Alien: Isolation
- Metallica to close out this year's BlizzCon
- Free DLC adds a new skin and runes to Shadow Of Mordor
- ESL Gaming app arrives for the Xbox One
- Indie dev threatens Gabe Newell after a minor error at his game's Steam launch, game gets pulled from Steam