Destiny's voice-chat limited to Fireteam members to avoid bullying and griefing says Bungie
Bungie has been explaining their decision to limit voice-chat in Destiny to Fireteam members only.
Destiny is incredibly social and connected but, at the same time Bungie has opted to give players as much control as possible over how much interaction they have with other players and this means limiting chat to just a players chose Fireteam members.
Bungie's community man David Dague explained, “We want to make sure your level of social engagement in Destiny is something that you have complete and total control over. We want you to make very deliberate decisions about the people you’re going to have on your team, and the voices that you welcome into your audio mix.”
“We’ve made a lot of games over the years that have brought a lot of gamers together in social and violent [encounters],” he went on. “We found that people who know each other and trust each other tend to make the best contributions to the party. I can certainly remember playing Bungie games online and other people would use their access of being able to talk to me as an opportunity to incite grief or bully me, [so that's why we did that].”
Destiny is currently in closed beta on PS4, PS3, Xbox One and Xbox 360 and you can read our impressions of the PS4 beta here. It will launch on all platforms, globally (with the exception of Japan where it will be a PlayStation exclusive) on September the 9th.
Thanks GamerTag Radio.
- Borderlands multiplayer comes back to life on Steam
- Saints Row creative director Steve Jaros announces he's off to join Valve
- We want to rebuild a player-first culture says EA CEO Andrew Wilson
- WWE 2K15 gets delayed on next-gen
- Playground to add eight new cars to Forza Horizon 2 on launch day, VIP and Car pass details announced
- Touring Car Legends DLC arrives for Grid: Autosport
- Left 4 Dead 2 finally gets an uncensored release in Australia
- Starting Destiny from a “blank canvas” was liberating says Bungie
- Driveclub PS Plus Edition will be an added extra for PS Plus subscribers in October