Destiny's voice-chat limited to Fireteam members to avoid bullying and griefing says Bungie
Bungie has been explaining their decision to limit voice-chat in Destiny to Fireteam members only.
Destiny is incredibly social and connected but, at the same time Bungie has opted to give players as much control as possible over how much interaction they have with other players and this means limiting chat to just a players chose Fireteam members.
Bungie's community man David Dague explained, “We want to make sure your level of social engagement in Destiny is something that you have complete and total control over. We want you to make very deliberate decisions about the people you’re going to have on your team, and the voices that you welcome into your audio mix.”
“We’ve made a lot of games over the years that have brought a lot of gamers together in social and violent [encounters],” he went on. “We found that people who know each other and trust each other tend to make the best contributions to the party. I can certainly remember playing Bungie games online and other people would use their access of being able to talk to me as an opportunity to incite grief or bully me, [so that's why we did that].”
Destiny is currently in closed beta on PS4, PS3, Xbox One and Xbox 360 and you can read our impressions of the PS4 beta here. It will launch on all platforms, globally (with the exception of Japan where it will be a PlayStation exclusive) on September the 9th.
Thanks GamerTag Radio.
- Thomas Was Alone gets a release date for PS4 and Wii U
- New Warframe update adds space-flight to the gameplay with Archwing mode
- New poll indicates that people believe online gaming is “the least welcoming space” for women
- CD Projekt RED releases The Trail, the opening cinematic from The Witcher 3
- New Project CARS trailer pulls up to the starting grid
- Far Cry 4 dev says linear games will suffer in the new world of gameplay video sharing
- Almost 1,100 developers, students and journalists sign the new #gamediversity petition embracing diversity in games
- Felicia Day breaks her silence about #Gamergate, is almost immediately doxxed
- Ubisoft announces PC specs for Assassin's Creed: Unity and they're killer