Destiny's voice-chat limited to Fireteam members to avoid bullying and griefing says Bungie
Bungie has been explaining their decision to limit voice-chat in Destiny to Fireteam members only.
Destiny is incredibly social and connected but, at the same time Bungie has opted to give players as much control as possible over how much interaction they have with other players and this means limiting chat to just a players chose Fireteam members.
Bungie's community man David Dague explained, “We want to make sure your level of social engagement in Destiny is something that you have complete and total control over. We want you to make very deliberate decisions about the people you’re going to have on your team, and the voices that you welcome into your audio mix.”
“We’ve made a lot of games over the years that have brought a lot of gamers together in social and violent [encounters],” he went on. “We found that people who know each other and trust each other tend to make the best contributions to the party. I can certainly remember playing Bungie games online and other people would use their access of being able to talk to me as an opportunity to incite grief or bully me, [so that's why we did that].”
Destiny is currently in closed beta on PS4, PS3, Xbox One and Xbox 360 and you can read our impressions of the PS4 beta here. It will launch on all platforms, globally (with the exception of Japan where it will be a PlayStation exclusive) on September the 9th.
Thanks GamerTag Radio.
- First Nosgoth eSports tournament to begin next month
- Stealth Inc 2 trailer peeks it head out of the shadows
- The Crew beta launches on PS4 and Xbox One next week
- PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of Dying Light cancelled, Techland describes their development as painful
- Sony investigating issues resulting from the release of PS4 firmware 2.0
- New trailer makes Final Fantasy Type-0 HD look like the darkest Final Fantasy game yet
- Screenshot on the PlayStation Blog points to an Uncharted re-release on PS4
- EA gives a release window for Star Wars: Battlefront
- Activision announces details and a release date for Destiny's first DLC The Dark Below