DS lacks mature audience - Pachter
Speaking to business site Gamasutra.com this week, analyst Michael Pachter has said that DS release GTA: Chinatown Wars didn't sell as well as might have been expected because the handheld lacks a 'mature' audience.
"There may be a lot of 'adults' who own DS hardware, but look at the ads: America Ferrera, Liv Tyler, Beyonce, and Carrie Underwood are all targeted at teen girls or women," Pachter offered.
"It's pretty clear to me that the 'older' DS demographic is largely female, and that they play Brain Training, Nintendogs, and Rhythm Heaven, not GTA: Chinatown Wars."
The analyst has faith in the GTA series, but doesn't hold out much hope for Chinatown Wars, the DS perhaps simply being the wrong format for the series.
"There's no point making games for an audience that is not there," Pachter concludes.
- Wii U version of Project CARS may not be released
- Diversity and gay romance didn't hurt sales says BioWare's David Gaider
- Microsoft accidentally leaks a “placeholder” release date for Halo: ODST remaster
- Shipment of copies of Splatoon robbed en-route to the UK
- Mortal Kombat X not coming to PS3 and Xbox 360 in June
- Spiders' The Technomancer to debut at E3
- Dirty Bomb open beta is coming next month
- Ubisoft now emailing players to encourage them to finish their games
- Supremacy, Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare's next DLC coming to Xbox next month with added Bruce Campbell