Wolfenstein for iPhone was "surprise"
Speaking to VentureBeat, id Software chief Todd Hollenshead has said that John Carmack surprised everyone at id by getting Wolfenstein on the iPhone working a week before anyone even knew about it.
"I got off the plane and all hell was breaking loose because someone wrote about how you could take a jail-broken iPhone and go to a secret web site to get Wolfenstein 3D Classic for free," revealed Hollenshead in a new interview.
"It was a secret page on ID's web site. It was really source code that John Carmack had staged to put the game up on the Apple App Store. One programmer speculated that search programs will do random searches on web sites until they find something. They found it, it got linked to.
"Then everybody wanted to download the game for free. But you couldn't do that. It was staged to go up on the Apple App Store."
Wolfenstein for iPhone is available for 4.99 USD, while other id classics are also on the way to Apple's handset, including the original Doom. How exciting.
- Thomas Was Alone gets a release date for PS4 and Wii U
- New Warframe update adds space-flight to the gameplay with Archwing mode
- New poll indicates that people believe online gaming is “the least welcoming space” for women
- CD Projekt RED releases The Trail, the opening cinematic from The Witcher 3
- New Project CARS trailer pulls up to the starting grid
- Far Cry 4 dev says linear games will suffer in the new world of gameplay video sharing
- Almost 1,100 developers, students and journalists sign the new #gamediversity petition embracing diversity in games
- Felicia Day breaks her silence about #Gamergate, is almost immediately doxxed
- Ubisoft announces PC specs for Assassin's Creed: Unity and they're killer