Midway note Mortal Kombat interest
With Midway showing all signs of sinking like a stone (we were warned yesterday that the embattled game publisher is burning through cash at an alarming rate), reports reach us today suggesting that there has already been significant interest in the Mortal Kombat IP.
Midway's Geoff Mogilner told MTV that the rights to the fighting series are already sparking the attention of other games publishers, who were alerted when Midway announced the rights to the brand were up for sale yesterday.
Apparently, Mortal Kombat has earned Midway 1.5 billion USD since debuting. Midway's situation, meanwhile, is believed to be increasingly dire.
"There are conversations for certain," the exec added on the prospect of a sale. "I can't say whether this is something that would have happened otherwise. There's definitely interest in Mortal Kombat. I'm not going to lie about that."
Meanwhile, the Mortal Kombat team are said to be starting work on a new game engine.
- EA to unveil Star Wars: Battlefront later on this month
- No 2015 launch for Zelda Wii U after all
- Konami continues to purge all references to Hideo Kojima with Silent Hills and Zone Of The Enders
- New Gears Of War title is Xbox One only
- Sony closes the door on PlayStation Home on last time
- StarCraft II: Legacy Of The Void beta invites go out today
- Final Fantasy XIV's first expansion Heavensward will launch in June
- Sony gives the full PS Plus line-up for April
- Before The Fall patch arrives for Final Fantasy XIV today