Midway note Mortal Kombat interest
With Midway showing all signs of sinking like a stone (we were warned yesterday that the embattled game publisher is burning through cash at an alarming rate), reports reach us today suggesting that there has already been significant interest in the Mortal Kombat IP.
Midway's Geoff Mogilner told MTV that the rights to the fighting series are already sparking the attention of other games publishers, who were alerted when Midway announced the rights to the brand were up for sale yesterday.
Apparently, Mortal Kombat has earned Midway 1.5 billion USD since debuting. Midway's situation, meanwhile, is believed to be increasingly dire.
"There are conversations for certain," the exec added on the prospect of a sale. "I can't say whether this is something that would have happened otherwise. There's definitely interest in Mortal Kombat. I'm not going to lie about that."
Meanwhile, the Mortal Kombat team are said to be starting work on a new game engine.
- Next week's Destiny events detailed
- Swery65's D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die is out now on Xbox One
- Silent Hills could be an episodic title
- Thomas Was Alone is making the jump to the PS4
- Destiny helps give the PS4 a 300 percent sales kick
- New Yakuza 0 trailer shows off 1980s Japan
- Bloodborne's Western release date has been confirmed
- Classic WWII RTS action returns with Blitzkrieg 3
- Tetsuya Nomura leaves Final Fantasy XV to concentrate of Kingdom Hearts III