Midway note Mortal Kombat interest
With Midway showing all signs of sinking like a stone (we were warned yesterday that the embattled game publisher is burning through cash at an alarming rate), reports reach us today suggesting that there has already been significant interest in the Mortal Kombat IP.
Midway's Geoff Mogilner told MTV that the rights to the fighting series are already sparking the attention of other games publishers, who were alerted when Midway announced the rights to the brand were up for sale yesterday.
Apparently, Mortal Kombat has earned Midway 1.5 billion USD since debuting. Midway's situation, meanwhile, is believed to be increasingly dire.
"There are conversations for certain," the exec added on the prospect of a sale. "I can't say whether this is something that would have happened otherwise. There's definitely interest in Mortal Kombat. I'm not going to lie about that."
Meanwhile, the Mortal Kombat team are said to be starting work on a new game engine.
- Visuals are key to the PS4's success according to Nielsen's latest survey
- Sledgehammer considering revisiting classic multiplayer maps for Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare
- New ToeJam & Earl game comes to Kickstarter
- Free login campaign announced as Final Fantasy XIV tops 4 million registered users
- Fable Legends will be free-to-play on both PC and Xbox One
- Bastion will hit the PS4 in April
- Sierra bringing Velocity 2X to Xbox One and PC
- This month is a triple-A bonanza for Xbox gamers on Games With Gold
- New House Of Wolves leak shows a Reef social hub for Destiny