NASA working on new space-based MMO
NASA's space-fairing MMO game steps a little closer to reality this weekend, the US space agency confirming a deal with Virtual Heroes and Project Whitecard that will see the persistent world title created. Astronaut: Moon, Mars and Beyond is the name of the new game.
The space agency hope the new game will be useful as a learning tool, and will inspire students to take up careers in engineering and the sciences. It will be powered by the Unreal Engine 3.
"NASA is committed to attracting more students to science, technology, engineering and mathematics fields of study and careers. We hope this game will inspire players to consider those careers," enthused project boss Daniel Laughlin.
A release in 2010 is planned, while a demo is mooted for late 2009.
- Thomas Was Alone gets a release date for PS4 and Wii U
- New Warframe update adds space-flight to the gameplay with Archwing mode
- New poll indicates that people believe online gaming is “the least welcoming space” for women
- CD Projekt RED releases The Trail, the opening cinematic from The Witcher 3
- New Project CARS trailer pulls up to the starting grid
- Far Cry 4 dev says linear games will suffer in the new world of gameplay video sharing
- Almost 1,100 developers, students and journalists sign the new #gamediversity petition embracing diversity in games
- Felicia Day breaks her silence about #Gamergate, is almost immediately doxxed
- Ubisoft announces PC specs for Assassin's Creed: Unity and they're killer