Games Convention and Gamescom face-off
Gamescom 2009, the Leipzig rivaling games expo being pulled together in Cologne by German trade body the BIU, has been moved to August, as the organisers look to head-off a challenge from rival expo Games Convention.
Based in former East Germany, Games Convention has been the most successful European show of the last three or four years, following the demise of London's ECTS, however, the BIU's new offering now poses a threat to GC's survival - especially with this change of date.
"Gamescom belongs to the entire industry and should enjoy as much acceptance as possible," offered BIU boss-man Klemens Kundratitz.
"This is why we took reservations voiced by the trade and a number of companies regarding scheduling the trade fair in September very seriously. The advantages and disadvantages of holding the trade fair in September were discussed in detail during a number of constructive discussions with industry participants."
August 19th to the 23rd it is; Leipzig beware.
- Resident Evil: Revelations 2 may be coming to the PS Vita
- Destiny gets its first raid today, the Vault Of Glass
- Assassin's Creed: Unity co-op trailer arrives
- Lukewarm Destiny reviews could cost Bungie 2.5 million USD
- Borderlands multiplayer comes back to life on Steam
- Saints Row creative director Steve Jaros announces he's off to join Valve
- We want to rebuild a player-first culture says EA CEO Andrew Wilson
- WWE 2K15 gets delayed on next-gen
- Playground to add eight new cars to Forza Horizon 2 on launch day, VIP and Car pass details announced