Devs are calling for and ID@Xbox early access programme says Microsoft
Microsoft's head of ID@Xbox Chris Chara has indicated that developers are asking for them to implement some kind of early access programme similar to the one that Valve runs on Steam.
Chara has indicated that they have been asked about setting up a similar initiative on Xbox Live but they have nothing to announce on that front for either Xbox One or Xbox 360 right now.
"Right now on Xbox One and Xbox 360, you can do betas. A lot of games do, and some games do private betas," he explained. "When we talk about early access, it typically means a game that you buy and it evolves over time to become 1.0, so you're buying it before it's 1.0 – Minecraft on PC is a perfect example.”
Chara added, "It's something developers have been asking for, and we are listening really closely to developers, but I don't have anything to announce on that right now."
Thanks Develop Online.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3