DSi not about iPhone - Iwata
Nintendo boss, Satoru Iwata, has told Nikkei Net that the features of the new DSi are not a reaction to the success of the iPhone.
"We wanted users to have the device on them at all times," Iwata commented.
"By downloading subway maps and other things, for instance, the DSi can be useful for applications other than playing games. We wanted to create an offering that would fit naturally into people's everyday lives."
With the additional functionality of the DSi, it is perhaps easy to understand why comparisons have been made with the iPhone. With the convergence of useful applications and games on a single handheld device, the question remains whether there will be one gadget to rule them all.
Iwata also revealed that the hardware would 'probably' launch in the US and Europe in 2009.
- Harmonix announces A City Sleeps, their new music-driven shooter
- Shadow Of Mordor trailer introduces the unique orc character, Ratbag
- Saints Row IV coming to next-gen consoles
- Saints Row: Gat Out Of Hell is a new standalone expansion
- First details of Telltale's Game Of Thrones series arrive
- SEGA unveils the new definitive Total War: Rome II – Emperor Edition
- Prison Architect alpha build 24 arrives
- Bayonetta 2 gets a final release date
- Deep Down now delayed until 2015