Yoshida wants free PS3 services
Sony hope to offer their users lashings of free services for the PS3 and the PSP, says Worldwide Studios big wig Shuhei Yoshida.
Chatting with GI.biz at last week's Leipzig gaming shindig, he revealed that this strategy stretches beyond just the PlayStation Network platform - which is free - unlike Microsoft's Xbox Live offering.
"We like to provide as many services as possible for free - we already provide our network access for gameplay for free - and the interesting thing about the network side and the internet business is that there’s a variety of revenue sources," he explained, suggesting that advertising models can be used to fund some services.
"Those are things we’re looking at, and learning how we can provide a service without people having to pay - but we still get our operation running with funding from somewhere so that we can maintain the level of quality we want."
- New Overwatch videos show off Hanzo and McCree
- Tychus loses his cigar for his appearance in Heroes Of The Storm
- Capcom details the Ultra Street Fighter IV PS4 upgrades
- Codemasters releases a teaser for F1 2015
- Total War: Arena gameplay unveiled
- Warner Bros bringing Batman's cowl and cape from Batman: Arkham Knight to MCM Comic-Con this weekend
- Red Thread gives an update on Dreamfall Chapters Book Three
- Sony releases a pretty 1080p gameplay video of God Of War III on PS4
- Techland shelves Hellraid to focus on Dying Light