Piracy is PC "hidden benefit" - Hollenshead
Speaking to GI.biz today id Software CEO Tood Hollenshead has said that PC manufacturers view free pirated content has a "hidden benefit that you get when you buy a PC".
"I think that if you went in and could see what's going on in their minds, though they may never say that stuff and I'm not saying there's some conspiracy or something like that." he continued, "But I think the thing is they realise that trading content, copyrighted or not, is an expected benefit of owning a computer."
Such talk is possibly a little harsh on PC manufacturers, however perhaps the marketing of PCs as educational products when actually they are often just used for games makes his point. It is also unclear as to what Hollenshead wants hardware vendors to do about the problem. Hardware based DRM?
- New Overwatch videos show off Hanzo and McCree
- Tychus loses his cigar for his appearance in Heroes Of The Storm
- Capcom details the Ultra Street Fighter IV PS4 upgrades
- Codemasters releases a teaser for F1 2015
- Total War: Arena gameplay unveiled
- Warner Bros bringing Batman's cowl and cape from Batman: Arkham Knight to MCM Comic-Con this weekend
- Red Thread gives an update on Dreamfall Chapters Book Three
- Sony releases a pretty 1080p gameplay video of God Of War III on PS4
- Techland shelves Hellraid to focus on Dying Light