NVIDIA in with PS3 shot
An interesting report on CNN money today, conjectures over the possibility of an NVIDIA graphics unit being used in the forthcoming PS3 console; after it was revealed recently that ATI will be providing the graphical processing capabilities to both the next Xbox and GameCube consoles. Indeed, the interest from NVIDIA is undersatandably strong, given that much of their current growth is based upon the growing success of the Xbox - in which their graphics hardware is the most expensive component.
Sony might not be so keen however, given their track record of keeping hardware design in-house, then getting an external company (Fujitsu in the case of the PS2) to manufacture the technology. They might however be pursuaded by the lacklustre hardware capabilities of the PS2 versus their rivals to have something of a rethink; and if they did decide to go ahead with an external company - NVIDIA would surely be in a position ot capatilise.
"The reality is nVidia is not sitting in a vacuum," Erach Desai, an analyst with American Technology Research, told CNN. "They are in discussions with Sony for the PS3". "They realize, I think, that they cannot do it all," Desai continued. "I have checked with a couple of very seasoned executives ... and the strong impression is that there is interest from Sony and interest from nVidia."
Michael McConnell of Pacific Crest Securities told CNN he believed such a move by Sony was still unlikely, however: "I would probably characterize it as a less than 50 percent chance that they win PS3," he said. "However, we have talked with Sony and their take on it is they're considering an external vendor as well as an internal solution. So you can't rule it out, but you definitely can't say it's a sure thing."
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3