NVIDIA in with PS3 shot
An interesting report on CNN money today, conjectures over the possibility of an NVIDIA graphics unit being used in the forthcoming PS3 console; after it was revealed recently that ATI will be providing the graphical processing capabilities to both the next Xbox and GameCube consoles. Indeed, the interest from NVIDIA is undersatandably strong, given that much of their current growth is based upon the growing success of the Xbox - in which their graphics hardware is the most expensive component.
Sony might not be so keen however, given their track record of keeping hardware design in-house, then getting an external company (Fujitsu in the case of the PS2) to manufacture the technology. They might however be pursuaded by the lacklustre hardware capabilities of the PS2 versus their rivals to have something of a rethink; and if they did decide to go ahead with an external company - NVIDIA would surely be in a position ot capatilise.
"The reality is nVidia is not sitting in a vacuum," Erach Desai, an analyst with American Technology Research, told CNN. "They are in discussions with Sony for the PS3". "They realize, I think, that they cannot do it all," Desai continued. "I have checked with a couple of very seasoned executives ... and the strong impression is that there is interest from Sony and interest from nVidia."
Michael McConnell of Pacific Crest Securities told CNN he believed such a move by Sony was still unlikely, however: "I would probably characterize it as a less than 50 percent chance that they win PS3," he said. "However, we have talked with Sony and their take on it is they're considering an external vendor as well as an internal solution. So you can't rule it out, but you definitely can't say it's a sure thing."
- Valve's Chet Faliszek has been confirmed as the first developer session for EGX Rezzed 2015
- One area from Zelda Wii U is as big as the entirety of Skyward Sword
- Telltale's new collaboration is with Mojang, on a Minecraft story game
- Franklin voice actor indicates GTA V story DLC is on the way
- Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire and Bully sequels will come when the time is right says Rockstar
- Telltale teases another collaboration with another game developer
- New Company Of Heroes 2: Ardennes Assault trailer recognizes the 70th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge
- New Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare trailer focuses on character customization
- Splash Damage's free-to-play shooter Dirty Bomb coming to Steam in the new year