BioWare's David Gaider hails Dragon Age: Inquisition's Dorian as the first “fully gay” character he's written
Dragon Age: Inquisition writer David Gaider has hailed mage party-member Dorian as the first “fully gay” character he's ever written.
In an new interview Gaider explains how Dorian is “the first fully gay character I've had the opportunity to write” and how his sexuality has helped add depth to his backstory.
“It added an interesting dimension to his back story,” Gaider explained, “considering he comes from a place where ‘perfection’ is the face that every mage puts on and anything that smacks of deviancy is shameful and meant to be hidden. Dorian's refusal to play along with that façade is seen as stubborn and pointless by his family, which has contributed to his status as a pariah.”
He added, “I suppose this aspect of Dorian will make him controversial in some corners, but I was glad to include it. It made writing Dorian a very personal experience for me, and I'm hopeful that will make him seem like a fully realized character to fans in the end.”
Dorian isn't the first gay character the has featured in BioWare games though. Juhani from Knights Of The Old Republic is gay as well as Mass Effect 3's pilot Steve Cortez and Dragon Age 2 blood mage party member Anders.
Gaider has been criticised for the use of the phrase “fully gay”. He responded with an apology on Twitter saying, "I meant 'legitimately', sorry. I was trying to be clear - many people consider the bi characters we've done to be 'gay'."
He was further challenged on that asking why he didn't just say “first gay companion I've ever written”. He responded, "Many would say, 'No, it's not.' But fair enough - I did not intend to comment on bisexuality, and will leave it at that."
Dragon Age: Inqusition is due out on PC, PS4, PS3, Xbox One and Xbox 360 on October the 7th in North America and October 10th in Europe.
- Microsoft doubles down for April's Games With Gold
- Every wondered what it would be like in James Bond and Joanna Dark met? Cara Ellison and Irene Koh have answered that question
- Dirty Bomb beta is back online
- Obsidian's saviour Pillars Of Eternity launches today, Watch it streamed live here later today
- Infinite Crisis launches fully today on Steam
- Here's what the new Hunters and the Behemoth for Evolve look like in action
- Blood and Burning and Celts Culture DLC Packs arrive for Total War: Attila
- F1 2015 coming to PC, PS4 and Xbox One this summer, first screenshots released
- Ubisoft introduces Alex Parizeau, the new head of Ubisoft Toronto