BioWare's David Gaider hails Dragon Age: Inquisition's Dorian as the first “fully gay” character he's written
Dragon Age: Inquisition writer David Gaider has hailed mage party-member Dorian as the first “fully gay” character he's ever written.
In an new interview Gaider explains how Dorian is “the first fully gay character I've had the opportunity to write” and how his sexuality has helped add depth to his backstory.
“It added an interesting dimension to his back story,” Gaider explained, “considering he comes from a place where ‘perfection’ is the face that every mage puts on and anything that smacks of deviancy is shameful and meant to be hidden. Dorian's refusal to play along with that façade is seen as stubborn and pointless by his family, which has contributed to his status as a pariah.”
He added, “I suppose this aspect of Dorian will make him controversial in some corners, but I was glad to include it. It made writing Dorian a very personal experience for me, and I'm hopeful that will make him seem like a fully realized character to fans in the end.”
Dorian isn't the first gay character the has featured in BioWare games though. Juhani from Knights Of The Old Republic is gay as well as Mass Effect 3's pilot Steve Cortez and Dragon Age 2 blood mage party member Anders.
Gaider has been criticised for the use of the phrase “fully gay”. He responded with an apology on Twitter saying, "I meant 'legitimately', sorry. I was trying to be clear - many people consider the bi characters we've done to be 'gay'."
He was further challenged on that asking why he didn't just say “first gay companion I've ever written”. He responded, "Many would say, 'No, it's not.' But fair enough - I did not intend to comment on bisexuality, and will leave it at that."
Dragon Age: Inqusition is due out on PC, PS4, PS3, Xbox One and Xbox 360 on October the 7th in North America and October 10th in Europe.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3