Xbox 2 powered by ATI
Big news today regarding future generation consoles, as graphics-hardware manufacturer ATI confirmed that they'd won the two horse race with Nvidia to power Microsoft's Xbox 2 console.
"We selected ATI after reviewing the top graphics technologies in development and determining that ATI's technical vision fits perfectly with the future direction of Xbox," commented Robbie Bach, senior VP of the Home and Entertainment Division.
ATI has been the rumoured 'Xbox Next' successor for some time, with speculation rife concerning Microsoft's rift with Nvidia over the pricing of the last Xbox, and the direction to take with the next system.
In related news, ATI risk upsetting their other major console client Nintendo with this deal, though given that (according to The Register) Cube production has apparently ceased pending warehouse clearance, ATI might feel their best interests are served by attempting to court both parties.
- Ken Levine's next game is a first-person sci-fi title
- Battlefield: Hardline beta coming to all platforms next week
- Transistor and Yakuza 4 among February's PS Plus Instant Game Collection pickings
- Third and final Life Is Strange development diary arrives ahead of tomorrow's launch of episode one
- Nintendo shows profits despite the Wii U continuing to underperform
- Goetia demo is now live
- There's a whole load of LEGO games coming this year including LEGO Jurassic World
- Resident Evil: Revelations 2 devs confident that Resident Evil 7 will be mind-blowing
- Steam content creators raise more than 50 million USD making hats for Team Fortress 2 and the like