Xbox 2 powered by ATI
Big news today regarding future generation consoles, as graphics-hardware manufacturer ATI confirmed that they'd won the two horse race with Nvidia to power Microsoft's Xbox 2 console.
"We selected ATI after reviewing the top graphics technologies in development and determining that ATI's technical vision fits perfectly with the future direction of Xbox," commented Robbie Bach, senior VP of the Home and Entertainment Division.
ATI has been the rumoured 'Xbox Next' successor for some time, with speculation rife concerning Microsoft's rift with Nvidia over the pricing of the last Xbox, and the direction to take with the next system.
In related news, ATI risk upsetting their other major console client Nintendo with this deal, though given that (according to The Register) Cube production has apparently ceased pending warehouse clearance, ATI might feel their best interests are served by attempting to court both parties.
- Shu Yoshida: PS Plus Edition of Driveclub won't arrive until the server issues are fixed
- New PC patch for The Evil Within unlocks 60fps for machines that can handle it
- Konami drops the price for Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
- Take-Two reports GTA V has sold over 34 million copies
- Stephen Colbert deconstructs #Gamergate last night with guest Anita Sarkeesian
- First Nosgoth eSports tournament to begin next month
- Stealth Inc 2 trailer peeks it head out of the shadows
- The Crew beta launches on PS4 and Xbox One next week
- PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of Dying Light cancelled, Techland describes their development as painful