Rainbow Six: Siege's single player is still taking form
Ubisoft has been talking a bit more about Rainbow Six, what happened to Patriots and where they stand on single player for Siege.
Technical artist on Siege Oliver Couture explained that Siege will have singleplayer but it's still taking shape at the moment.
“We know that single-player is also an important part of the Rainbow Six experience,” Couture stressed. “We understand that while this year we showed multiplayer – because we want to have fun playing against each other internally, it’s a good test to know if a game is fun – but we are 100 percent aware that single-player is a big part. We’re currently working on that too.”
He went on, “The scope of the single-player is not completely clear yet, so I cannot really elaborate on it. All I know is that the message we have on the production floor is like, ‘All the comments online, people are always talking about single-player. So we’re gonna have something for them.’ But I can’t say if it will be more cinematic [like Patriots was] yet.”
As far as Patriots goes Couture also worked on that too and he revealed that it was the advent of the next-gen consoles that really killed off their work on that concept.
“To be completely transparent, I worked on Patriots – on Rainbow Six for three-and-a-half years – and Patriots was old-gen. Xbox 360 and PS3,” he began.
“Next-gen consoles were just around the corner, and we were like, ‘OK, we want to also have a next-gen experience. What can we do for that?’” Couture added. “We were trying stuff out with destruction technology, and we realized destruction really changes the game. We tried to see how it could fit with old-gen, but it just didn’t work out. So for us it was just a better solution to clean the slate, reset, and make what’s best for the players. We’ve been working hard for the past year-and-a-half [on Siege].”
Rainbow Six: Siege is due out on PC, PS4 and Xbox One some time in 2015.
Thanks Rock, Paper, Shotgun.
- Thomas Was Alone gets a release date for PS4 and Wii U
- New Warframe update adds space-flight to the gameplay with Archwing mode
- New poll indicates that people believe online gaming is “the least welcoming space” for women
- CD Projekt RED releases The Trail, the opening cinematic from The Witcher 3
- New Project CARS trailer pulls up to the starting grid
- Far Cry 4 dev says linear games will suffer in the new world of gameplay video sharing
- Almost 1,100 developers, students and journalists sign the new #gamediversity petition embracing diversity in games
- Felicia Day breaks her silence about #Gamergate, is almost immediately doxxed
- Ubisoft announces PC specs for Assassin's Creed: Unity and they're killer