E3 2014: Capybara Games' Below brings roguelike twist to Xbox One and Steam
Below takes place on an island, and beneath this island is a deep labyrinth which is where the core of the gameplay takes place. The player comes onto the island with no idea of how they got there or what to do.
Like Rogue Legacy, Below features permadeath. Each iteration of the player character has but one hit point and once they are hit, they are dead forever. After each death, the journey begins anew. However, any progress made by previous characters remains.
To project the atmosphere of how fragile the character is, and the largeness of the environment around him, Capybara has made the player-character small and uses tilt-shift photography to give the impression they desire.
Below's release date has not been set, but it will be a Xbox One exclusive for a limited time.
- Thomas Was Alone gets a release date for PS4 and Wii U
- New Warframe update adds space-flight to the gameplay with Archwing mode
- New poll indicates that people believe online gaming is “the least welcoming space” for women
- CD Projekt RED releases The Trail, the opening cinematic from The Witcher 3
- New Project CARS trailer pulls up to the starting grid
- Far Cry 4 dev says linear games will suffer in the new world of gameplay video sharing
- Almost 1,100 developers, students and journalists sign the new #gamediversity petition embracing diversity in games
- Felicia Day breaks her silence about #Gamergate, is almost immediately doxxed
- Ubisoft announces PC specs for Assassin's Creed: Unity and they're killer