E3 2014: Capybara Games' Below brings roguelike twist to Xbox One and Steam
Below takes place on an island, and beneath this island is a deep labyrinth which is where the core of the gameplay takes place. The player comes onto the island with no idea of how they got there or what to do.
Like Rogue Legacy, Below features permadeath. Each iteration of the player character has but one hit point and once they are hit, they are dead forever. After each death, the journey begins anew. However, any progress made by previous characters remains.
To project the atmosphere of how fragile the character is, and the largeness of the environment around him, Capybara has made the player-character small and uses tilt-shift photography to give the impression they desire.
Below's release date has not been set, but it will be a Xbox One exclusive for a limited time.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3