E3 2014: Nintendo takes on Skylanders and Disney Infinity with Amiibo
Following in the footsteps of Disney and Activision, Nintendo has stated that they will be launching a series of figures that will interact with various titles.
The first series of Amiibo figures will feature Pikachu, Mario, Peach, Yoshi, the Animal Crossing Villager, Link, Kirby, the Wii Fit Trainer, Samus, and Donkey Kong. The figures will work by being pressed against the Wii U Game Pad.
Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros., Yoshi's Wooly World, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, and Mario Party 10 are all reported to support Amiibos. However, Nintendo did not share specifics on any titles except Super Smash Bros., stating that you would be able to conjure the Amiibo into the game to assist you, spar against you, or fight with other Amiibos.
Nintendo will also in 2015 release a peripheral that will allow Amiibo support for the 3DS.
- Borderlands 2 writer leaving Gearbox to join Freddie Wong's RocketJump production company
- Bloodborne will be harder than Demon's Souls and features procedurally generated dungeons
- Hearthstone users pass the 75 million mark, new expansion on the way says new report
- Square Enix unveils the Final Fantasy Type-0 Collector's Edition
- Life Is Strange arrives today
- SEGA cuts jobs in the biggest strategic shift since they binned the Dreamcast
- Big new update arrives for Frozen Cortex
- Introversion's Prison Architect will see its full launch this year, mobile version announced
- Ken Levine's next game is a first-person sci-fi title