PS3 all about the games - Hirai
Speaking on the officially-backed ThreeSpeech blog, Kaz Hirai has said he believes the PlayStation 3 is now firmly perceived as a games console.
"I think that some of the initiatives that I put in place after I took over the job in Japan are starting to bear fruit. We talk about this all the time: the fact that we've repositioned the PlayStation 3 as being first and foremost a videogames console," Hirai is quoted as offering.
"I think that cleared up a lot of confusion in everybody's minds - certainly people in the press as well as consumers. And if we're saying it's first and foremost a videogames console, we've got to back it up with some big games.
"So we've put some initiatives in place to make sure we have more and more titles coming out on the PlayStation 3 from both first-party studios and third-party publishers. So those things, I think, are starting to come together."
The exec believes that upcoming releases like LittleBigPlanet, Killzone 2, Home, et al could help boost the system, while the Blu-ray media format will remain the best way of delivering games for some time to come.
"That's not to say we're not doing the online stuff, which we are, through the PlayStation Store, but it's basically a combination that makes the most sense for us and consumers. That's why in some instances, we'll offer both versions, like with Gran Turismo 5 Prologue," the big cheese concluded.
- The Behemoth teases their fourth game, it will be playable at PAX Prime
- Sins Of A Solar Empire devs Ironclad successfully defends their use word Rebellion in one of their game titles
- Just Cause devs Avalanche have some surprises planned for 2015
- LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham gets a new Braniac trailer
- Sledgehammer boss confirms no Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare for Wii U
- Xbox One getting a Reddit app
- Konami releases a hat-trick of new screens for PES 2015
- 500GB hard drive coming for the Xbox 360 soon
- Watch the standard edition of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt unboxed in 18 seconds flat