PS3 all about the games - Hirai
Speaking on the officially-backed ThreeSpeech blog, Kaz Hirai has said he believes the PlayStation 3 is now firmly perceived as a games console.
"I think that some of the initiatives that I put in place after I took over the job in Japan are starting to bear fruit. We talk about this all the time: the fact that we've repositioned the PlayStation 3 as being first and foremost a videogames console," Hirai is quoted as offering.
"I think that cleared up a lot of confusion in everybody's minds - certainly people in the press as well as consumers. And if we're saying it's first and foremost a videogames console, we've got to back it up with some big games.
"So we've put some initiatives in place to make sure we have more and more titles coming out on the PlayStation 3 from both first-party studios and third-party publishers. So those things, I think, are starting to come together."
The exec believes that upcoming releases like LittleBigPlanet, Killzone 2, Home, et al could help boost the system, while the Blu-ray media format will remain the best way of delivering games for some time to come.
"That's not to say we're not doing the online stuff, which we are, through the PlayStation Store, but it's basically a combination that makes the most sense for us and consumers. That's why in some instances, we'll offer both versions, like with Gran Turismo 5 Prologue," the big cheese concluded.
- Metal Gear Online will return, reveal coming at The Game Awards 2014
- Ever wanted to know which next-gen console would survive a 30-foot drop?
- New Assassin's Creed: Unity patch is a bit on the large side
- Wonder what Zombie mode looks like for Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare? Here's a trailer
- Xbox 360 Titanfall players getting a massive update next week
- Ubisoft pulls the Assassin's Creed: Unity Season Pass, offering free DLC and games to apologize for the problems with the game
- Dark Souls migration over to Steam delayed into next month now
- Sony to give partial refunds to PS Vita early adopters over misleading launch advertising
- And here's the goodies that Games With Gold will get you in December