PS3 all about the games - Hirai
Speaking on the officially-backed ThreeSpeech blog, Kaz Hirai has said he believes the PlayStation 3 is now firmly perceived as a games console.
"I think that some of the initiatives that I put in place after I took over the job in Japan are starting to bear fruit. We talk about this all the time: the fact that we've repositioned the PlayStation 3 as being first and foremost a videogames console," Hirai is quoted as offering.
"I think that cleared up a lot of confusion in everybody's minds - certainly people in the press as well as consumers. And if we're saying it's first and foremost a videogames console, we've got to back it up with some big games.
"So we've put some initiatives in place to make sure we have more and more titles coming out on the PlayStation 3 from both first-party studios and third-party publishers. So those things, I think, are starting to come together."
The exec believes that upcoming releases like LittleBigPlanet, Killzone 2, Home, et al could help boost the system, while the Blu-ray media format will remain the best way of delivering games for some time to come.
"That's not to say we're not doing the online stuff, which we are, through the PlayStation Store, but it's basically a combination that makes the most sense for us and consumers. That's why in some instances, we'll offer both versions, like with Gran Turismo 5 Prologue," the big cheese concluded.
- Elite devs Frontier lays off staff and effectively closes their Canadian studio
- Monstrum system specs announced
- Ever wonder what a week's worth of internet abuse looks like for Feminist Frequency's Anita Sarkeesian?
- The Witness's puzzles are finished but there is still plenty of work to be done on the game
- Dragon's Dogma Online announced for release in Japan
- Life Is Strange episodes will release six weeks apart
- Reptile is returning in Mortal Kombat X
- New Xbox One Controller firmware update will cut the connection time in half
- Battlefield: Hardline beta rumoured to begin next week