PS3 all about the games - Hirai
Speaking on the officially-backed ThreeSpeech blog, Kaz Hirai has said he believes the PlayStation 3 is now firmly perceived as a games console.
"I think that some of the initiatives that I put in place after I took over the job in Japan are starting to bear fruit. We talk about this all the time: the fact that we've repositioned the PlayStation 3 as being first and foremost a videogames console," Hirai is quoted as offering.
"I think that cleared up a lot of confusion in everybody's minds - certainly people in the press as well as consumers. And if we're saying it's first and foremost a videogames console, we've got to back it up with some big games.
"So we've put some initiatives in place to make sure we have more and more titles coming out on the PlayStation 3 from both first-party studios and third-party publishers. So those things, I think, are starting to come together."
The exec believes that upcoming releases like LittleBigPlanet, Killzone 2, Home, et al could help boost the system, while the Blu-ray media format will remain the best way of delivering games for some time to come.
"That's not to say we're not doing the online stuff, which we are, through the PlayStation Store, but it's basically a combination that makes the most sense for us and consumers. That's why in some instances, we'll offer both versions, like with Gran Turismo 5 Prologue," the big cheese concluded.
- BioShock Infinite: Complete Edition coming this November
- Final piece of Dark Souls II DLC is delayed, new screenshots released to soothe the pain
- Eden Hazard shows off some of his new skill moves from FIFA 15
- Assassin's Creed: Unity Season Pass comes with a 2.5D standalone adventure set in China
- Saints Row IV modders create a new weapon skin for the Alien SMG in honour of Steve Jaros' departure
- PlayStation TV gets a release date for Europe and the US
- Driveclub gets a white PS4 hardware bundle
- Sony offering up a free online multiplayer weekend on PS4 this weekend
- Sledgehammer promises a reveal of Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare co-op mode soon