GTA IV sales top 500 million USD
Sales of Grand Theft Auto IV have topped 500 million USD in their opening week, publisher Take-Two have this week revealed.
So far, about six million copies of the game have been sold globally, while 3.6 million of these are said to have come on the opening day.
Halo 3 achieved sales of 300 million USD last year (in week one), so this historic launch makes GTA IV the biggest entertainment debut ever, although Halo 3 was of course only launched on one platform.
"We knew Grand Theft Auto IV would break new ground in terms of the player's experience, with its compelling story line, extraordinary gameplay and action that ranges over a broad urban canvas. Now, it has broken sales and rating records as well", said Strauss Zelnick, Chairman of Take-Two.
"Grand Theft Auto IV's first week performance represents the largest launch in the history of interactive entertainment, and we believe these retail sales levels surpass any movie or music launch to date. We congratulate the entire Rockstar team on creating a must-have experience that takes the legendary Grand Theft Auto franchise to a new level".
- Classic PC survival horror series returns with Alone In The Dark: Illumination
- Resident Evil: Revelations 2 confirmed with a concept trailer
- Xbox One owners, Destiny wants to eat your hard drive
- Saints Row IV modding tools released for PC
- Volition's Steve Jaros: Sarkeesian was right to call out Saints Row
- Playable Silent Hill teaser P.T. downloaded 1 million times
- Blooborne gets a Japanese release date
- Rockstar says no delay to next-gen GTA V, November release date rumoured
- Harmonix announces A City Sleeps, their new music-driven shooter