GTA IV sales top 500 million USD
Sales of Grand Theft Auto IV have topped 500 million USD in their opening week, publisher Take-Two have this week revealed.
So far, about six million copies of the game have been sold globally, while 3.6 million of these are said to have come on the opening day.
Halo 3 achieved sales of 300 million USD last year (in week one), so this historic launch makes GTA IV the biggest entertainment debut ever, although Halo 3 was of course only launched on one platform.
"We knew Grand Theft Auto IV would break new ground in terms of the player's experience, with its compelling story line, extraordinary gameplay and action that ranges over a broad urban canvas. Now, it has broken sales and rating records as well", said Strauss Zelnick, Chairman of Take-Two.
"Grand Theft Auto IV's first week performance represents the largest launch in the history of interactive entertainment, and we believe these retail sales levels surpass any movie or music launch to date. We congratulate the entire Rockstar team on creating a must-have experience that takes the legendary Grand Theft Auto franchise to a new level".
- Almost 1,100 developers, students and journalists sign the new #gamediversity petition embracing diversity in games
- Felicia Day breaks her silence about #Gamergate, is almost immediately doxxed
- Ubisoft announces PC specs for Assassin's Creed: Unity and they're killer
- Dark Souls 2 could see a fourth pack of DLC released
- Far Cry 4 is all about player choice, has five endings
- Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare PC system specifications announced
- Evolution adds more multiplayer events to Driveclub as they continue to work on the game's server issues
- Rockstar announces a San Andreas 10th Anniversary event this weekend for GTA Online
- Dead Or Alive 5: Last Round gets a release date