GTA IV sales top 500 million USD
Sales of Grand Theft Auto IV have topped 500 million USD in their opening week, publisher Take-Two have this week revealed.
So far, about six million copies of the game have been sold globally, while 3.6 million of these are said to have come on the opening day.
Halo 3 achieved sales of 300 million USD last year (in week one), so this historic launch makes GTA IV the biggest entertainment debut ever, although Halo 3 was of course only launched on one platform.
"We knew Grand Theft Auto IV would break new ground in terms of the player's experience, with its compelling story line, extraordinary gameplay and action that ranges over a broad urban canvas. Now, it has broken sales and rating records as well", said Strauss Zelnick, Chairman of Take-Two.
"Grand Theft Auto IV's first week performance represents the largest launch in the history of interactive entertainment, and we believe these retail sales levels surpass any movie or music launch to date. We congratulate the entire Rockstar team on creating a must-have experience that takes the legendary Grand Theft Auto franchise to a new level".
- Dragon Age: Inquisition's Jaws Of Hakkon DLC not out on remaining platforms till May
- Pillars Of Eternity community debating the validity of an in-game trans joke
- Warner Bros teams up with ESL for a programme of pro-Mortal Kombat X tournaments this year
- New Rainbow Six: Siege trailer explains the operator system
- UK headteachers threaten to report parents who let their children play adult-rated games
- Spotify hits the PS4 and PS3 today
- Halo 5: Guardians coming to the Xbox One in October
- The next episode of Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare's Exo Zombies get s new trailer
- Microsoft doubles down for April's Games With Gold