PS3 sales up thanks to GTA IV
The latest word from Sony informs us that the release of Grand Theft Auto IV has seen sales of the PS3 rise, the platform holder claiming that the release of Rockstar's opus is helping drive 'brand loyal' gamers who enjoyed GTA on the PS2 over to Sony's new system.
"Grand Theft Auto fans who love the game grew up on PlayStation and we believe that rich heritage will be a deciding factor for many gamers at retail," assured PSN big wig boss Peter Dille. "This enthusiasm for GTA IV, combined with the excitement behind Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, Metal Gear Solid 4, LittleBigPlanet, and Resistance 2 will further drive PS3 hardware sales."
Outspoken gaming analyst Michael Pachter also believes the PS3 could benefit as PS2 owners looking to enter the GTA IV fray, although Microsoft understandably disagrees, noting stronger sales of the 360 version.
"What we’ve heard anecdotally from our retail partners is that the Xbox 360 version of the game is outselling the PS3 version by a margin of two-to-one," responded Aaron Greenberg, speaking online.
"That mirrors what we saw with pre-orders, but it continues to hold true at retail, at least for the first couple of days. It’s a great sign."
More as we get it.
- Far Cry 4 dev says linear games will suffer in the new world of gameplay video sharing
- Almost 1,100 developers, students and journalists sign the new #gamediversity petition embracing diversity in games
- Felicia Day breaks her silence about #Gamergate, is almost immediately doxxed
- Ubisoft announces PC specs for Assassin's Creed: Unity and they're killer
- Dark Souls 2 could see a fourth pack of DLC released
- Far Cry 4 is all about player choice, has five endings
- Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare PC system specifications announced
- Evolution adds more multiplayer events to Driveclub as they continue to work on the game's server issues
- Rockstar announces a San Andreas 10th Anniversary event this weekend for GTA Online