Did GTA IV cost 100 million USD?
Grand Theft Auto IV has readily been compared to blockbuster feature films, and we learn today that Rockstar's opus may have had a budget to match a major Hollywood production.
The Times were speaking with Rockstar North boss Leslie Benzies, who lets slip that the new GTA may have been the most expensive game ever created.
"It’s like making a theatre production, a few movies and an album all to fit into one package," he comments.
Although he isn't exactly sure what the game cost, he goes on to estimate something in the region of 100 million USD, with 1,000 people having been involved in the production.
Of course, 100 million USD could start to look like a drop in the ocean as the sales figures roll-in, but the huge sum does demonstrate Rockstar's perfectionism and, more generally, the cost of creating a top triple-A release.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3