Did GTA IV cost 100 million USD?
Grand Theft Auto IV has readily been compared to blockbuster feature films, and we learn today that Rockstar's opus may have had a budget to match a major Hollywood production.
The Times were speaking with Rockstar North boss Leslie Benzies, who lets slip that the new GTA may have been the most expensive game ever created.
"It’s like making a theatre production, a few movies and an album all to fit into one package," he comments.
Although he isn't exactly sure what the game cost, he goes on to estimate something in the region of 100 million USD, with 1,000 people having been involved in the production.
Of course, 100 million USD could start to look like a drop in the ocean as the sales figures roll-in, but the huge sum does demonstrate Rockstar's perfectionism and, more generally, the cost of creating a top triple-A release.
- Borderlands 2 writer leaving Gearbox to join Freddie Wong's RocketJump production company
- Bloodborne will be harder than Demon's Souls and features procedurally generated dungeons
- Hearthstone users pass the 75 million mark, new expansion on the way says new report
- Square Enix unveils the Final Fantasy Type-0 Collector's Edition
- Life Is Strange arrives today
- SEGA cuts jobs in the biggest strategic shift since they binned the Dreamcast
- Big new update arrives for Frozen Cortex
- Introversion's Prison Architect will see its full launch this year, mobile version announced
- Ken Levine's next game is a first-person sci-fi title