Did GTA IV cost 100 million USD?
Grand Theft Auto IV has readily been compared to blockbuster feature films, and we learn today that Rockstar's opus may have had a budget to match a major Hollywood production.
The Times were speaking with Rockstar North boss Leslie Benzies, who lets slip that the new GTA may have been the most expensive game ever created.
"It’s like making a theatre production, a few movies and an album all to fit into one package," he comments.
Although he isn't exactly sure what the game cost, he goes on to estimate something in the region of 100 million USD, with 1,000 people having been involved in the production.
Of course, 100 million USD could start to look like a drop in the ocean as the sales figures roll-in, but the huge sum does demonstrate Rockstar's perfectionism and, more generally, the cost of creating a top triple-A release.
- Valve's Chet Faliszek has been confirmed as the first developer session for EGX Rezzed 2015
- One area from Zelda Wii U is as big as the entirety of Skyward Sword
- Telltale's new collaboration is with Mojang, on a Minecraft story game
- Franklin voice actor indicates GTA V story DLC is on the way
- Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire and Bully sequels will come when the time is right says Rockstar
- Telltale teases another collaboration with another game developer
- New Company Of Heroes 2: Ardennes Assault trailer recognizes the 70th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge
- New Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare trailer focuses on character customization
- Splash Damage's free-to-play shooter Dirty Bomb coming to Steam in the new year