Did GTA IV cost 100 million USD?
Grand Theft Auto IV has readily been compared to blockbuster feature films, and we learn today that Rockstar's opus may have had a budget to match a major Hollywood production.
The Times were speaking with Rockstar North boss Leslie Benzies, who lets slip that the new GTA may have been the most expensive game ever created.
"It’s like making a theatre production, a few movies and an album all to fit into one package," he comments.
Although he isn't exactly sure what the game cost, he goes on to estimate something in the region of 100 million USD, with 1,000 people having been involved in the production.
Of course, 100 million USD could start to look like a drop in the ocean as the sales figures roll-in, but the huge sum does demonstrate Rockstar's perfectionism and, more generally, the cost of creating a top triple-A release.
- Thomas Was Alone gets a release date for PS4 and Wii U
- New Warframe update adds space-flight to the gameplay with Archwing mode
- New poll indicates that people believe online gaming is “the least welcoming space” for women
- CD Projekt RED releases The Trail, the opening cinematic from The Witcher 3
- New Project CARS trailer pulls up to the starting grid
- Far Cry 4 dev says linear games will suffer in the new world of gameplay video sharing
- Almost 1,100 developers, students and journalists sign the new #gamediversity petition embracing diversity in games
- Felicia Day breaks her silence about #Gamergate, is almost immediately doxxed
- Ubisoft announces PC specs for Assassin's Creed: Unity and they're killer