Spyware uses GTA IV
Gamers desperate to get their hands on Grand Theft Auto IV are becoming the unwitting target of Spyware scammers, we learn today.
Emails are being disseminated, purporting to offer gamers the chance to enter a draw for a PS3 pre-loaded with Rockstar's new game.
Sadly, in reality the emails include spyware which looks to steal personal financial data and the like.
The spammers are of course hoping to capitalise on gamers' desperation to land copies of the massive new release, with stores across the western hemisphere rapidly selling out.
"We are seeing unprecedented levels of spam in relation to the game; with more than half of the spam our service is blocking relating to Grand Theft Auto, most of which contain viruses and spyware," said Dan Field, Managing Director of www.ClearMyMail.com.
This news is taken from our sister site tech.tm.
- BioShock Infinite: Complete Edition coming this November
- Final piece of Dark Souls II DLC is delayed, new screenshots released to soothe the pain
- Eden Hazard shows off some of his new skill moves from FIFA 15
- Assassin's Creed: Unity Season Pass comes with a 2.5D standalone adventure set in China
- Saints Row IV modders create a new weapon skin for the Alien SMG in honour of Steve Jaros' departure
- PlayStation TV gets a release date for Europe and the US
- Driveclub gets a white PS4 hardware bundle
- Sony offering up a free online multiplayer weekend on PS4 this weekend
- Sledgehammer promises a reveal of Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare co-op mode soon