Spyware uses GTA IV
Gamers desperate to get their hands on Grand Theft Auto IV are becoming the unwitting target of Spyware scammers, we learn today.
Emails are being disseminated, purporting to offer gamers the chance to enter a draw for a PS3 pre-loaded with Rockstar's new game.
Sadly, in reality the emails include spyware which looks to steal personal financial data and the like.
The spammers are of course hoping to capitalise on gamers' desperation to land copies of the massive new release, with stores across the western hemisphere rapidly selling out.
"We are seeing unprecedented levels of spam in relation to the game; with more than half of the spam our service is blocking relating to Grand Theft Auto, most of which contain viruses and spyware," said Dan Field, Managing Director of www.ClearMyMail.com.
This news is taken from our sister site tech.tm.
- New Titanfall update adds Titan-free combat gameplay mode
- OnLive coming to Philips' new range fo Android-powered smart TVs
- Explore the rest of the solar system with Google's Destiny Planet View
- Dead Or Alive 5: Last Round coming to next-gen consoles
- Voting opens up for GamesAid's charity of 2014
- Nintendo promising a good 2015 with Zelda, Star Fox and Splatoon coming to Wii U
- Warframe comes to Xbox One today
- Over 2000 developers sign an open letter calling for the community to take a stand against harassment
- Classic PC survival horror series returns with Alone In The Dark: Illumination