Spyware uses GTA IV
Gamers desperate to get their hands on Grand Theft Auto IV are becoming the unwitting target of Spyware scammers, we learn today.
Emails are being disseminated, purporting to offer gamers the chance to enter a draw for a PS3 pre-loaded with Rockstar's new game.
Sadly, in reality the emails include spyware which looks to steal personal financial data and the like.
The spammers are of course hoping to capitalise on gamers' desperation to land copies of the massive new release, with stores across the western hemisphere rapidly selling out.
"We are seeing unprecedented levels of spam in relation to the game; with more than half of the spam our service is blocking relating to Grand Theft Auto, most of which contain viruses and spyware," said Dan Field, Managing Director of www.ClearMyMail.com.
This news is taken from our sister site tech.tm.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3