ATI for Xbox 2?
Shares in technology manufacturer ATI rose today as rumours gathered pace that the company were favourites to land a deal to supply graphics hardware for the Xbox 2 - ahead of rival NVIDIA.
If true, this move would mark a noticeable shift away from the dominance NVIDIA until recently had when it comes to technology for gaming. Contrasting with ATI's 5.6% gain, NVIDIA's shares fell by 7.8%.
A report on Ample.com stated that Nvidia holds 47 percent of the market share for graphic and imaging chips, while ATI holds 29 percent, according to industry research firm Isuppli. However, if true, this rumour could leave NVIDIA free to provide the graphical technology for the next Playstation console - which would be an even more appealing proposal given the brand's market-leading position.
ATI currently provide the technology that powers the graphics of the Nintendo GameCube, and have also said they wish to continue their healthy relationship with the Japanese giant - which could well be strained if a deal with Microsoft proves true. More on all this as we get it.
- Valve's Chet Faliszek has been confirmed as the first developer session for EGX Rezzed 2015
- One area from Zelda Wii U is as big as the entirety of Skyward Sword
- Telltale's new collaboration is with Mojang, on a Minecraft story game
- Franklin voice actor indicates GTA V story DLC is on the way
- Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire and Bully sequels will come when the time is right says Rockstar
- Telltale teases another collaboration with another game developer
- New Company Of Heroes 2: Ardennes Assault trailer recognizes the 70th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge
- New Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare trailer focuses on character customization
- Splash Damage's free-to-play shooter Dirty Bomb coming to Steam in the new year