ATI for Xbox 2?
Shares in technology manufacturer ATI rose today as rumours gathered pace that the company were favourites to land a deal to supply graphics hardware for the Xbox 2 - ahead of rival NVIDIA.
If true, this move would mark a noticeable shift away from the dominance NVIDIA until recently had when it comes to technology for gaming. Contrasting with ATI's 5.6% gain, NVIDIA's shares fell by 7.8%.
A report on Ample.com stated that Nvidia holds 47 percent of the market share for graphic and imaging chips, while ATI holds 29 percent, according to industry research firm Isuppli. However, if true, this rumour could leave NVIDIA free to provide the graphical technology for the next Playstation console - which would be an even more appealing proposal given the brand's market-leading position.
ATI currently provide the technology that powers the graphics of the Nintendo GameCube, and have also said they wish to continue their healthy relationship with the Japanese giant - which could well be strained if a deal with Microsoft proves true. More on all this as we get it.
- Warren Spector lifts the lid on Junction Point's cancelled Half-Life 2 episode
- Ubisoft pledges to match up to 100,000 CAD of donations to aid Far Cry 4's inspiration Nepal recover from the earthquake
- Square Enix shows off their new DirectX 12-powered Luminous Studio engine
- Overkill's The Walking Dead game coming to PC and consoles next year
- Sony to release The Last Of Us DLC Left Behind as a standalone downloadable
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided trailer was a bit violent for Warren Spector's tastes
- Dragon Age: Inquisition's Jaws Of Hakkon DLC to arrive on Xbox 360 and PlayStation consoles this month
- EA gives a date and time for their 2015 E3 press conference
- Frozen Cortex gets a large free update