System Shock 2 Updated
Some awfully talented chap has had a flipping great idea. He's decided that System Shock 2 is way too good a game to be left drifting in the past and brought some of the graphics right up to the present. Now in a game as good as SS2 the graphics aren't essential. Yet the atmosphere of the game can only be improved by taking the original low-polygon meshes and replacing them with modern, new-fangled hi-res ones. This guy, Etienne Aubert, has already made it to beta 1, so if replaying one of the greatest ever games takes your fancy, head over to http://perso.wanadoo.fr/etienne.aubert/sshock/sshock_rebirth.htm.
But wait, what if you are unlucky enough to have never played the game in the first place, or absent enough to have lost it? Well the good news is that you can download SS2 without breaking any laws. This is about the only positive thing to come from the demise of the sorely missed Looking Glass development house, as the rights to the game are in limbo. So you can head over to that fine repository of abandonware games, the underdogs, and get yourself a copy. Here's the link, and another to a fix for XP/2000 users: www.brave.net.nz/shock2_xp_2000_fix.zip, http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?name=System+Shock+2.
Now aren't we good to ya?
Related in content but not in personnel, there's also a mod in development called 'The Shock Project'. This will have all new content to go with the new storyline. If that floats your boat swing by: http://www.purkaia.net/tsp/ and have a peek.
- Valve's Chet Faliszek has been confirmed as the first developer session for EGX Rezzed 2015
- One area from Zelda Wii U is as big as the entirety of Skyward Sword
- Telltale's new collaboration is with Mojang, on a Minecraft story game
- Franklin voice actor indicates GTA V story DLC is on the way
- Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire and Bully sequels will come when the time is right says Rockstar
- Telltale teases another collaboration with another game developer
- New Company Of Heroes 2: Ardennes Assault trailer recognizes the 70th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge
- New Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare trailer focuses on character customization
- Splash Damage's free-to-play shooter Dirty Bomb coming to Steam in the new year