Dawn Of War series to migrate to Steam multiplayer to escape the GameSpy/GFWL closures
Relic Entertainment has announced that they will be migrating the multiplayer servers for Dawn Of War and Dawn Of War 2 over to Steam in order to escape the imminent closure of two fairly large online services.
Dawn Of War and its numerous expansion packs were all powered by GameSpy's online servers as it was still a major player in online gaming when they launched. Dawn Of War 2 and its first expansion Chaos Rising were powered by Games For Windows Live but Relic made the switch to Steam servers for the second expansion Retribution.
This is far more than just a simple migration though as Relic design lead Phillipe Boulle revealed that both Dawn Of War and Dawn Of War 2 and their expansions would be updated in the process to use the same matchmaking technology that powers Company Of Heroes 2's multiplayer.
Boulle wrote on the Steam Community Forums, "All titles in the franchise are being updated to use the same matchmaking and backend developed for Company of Heroes 2. This will not only mean multiplayer can continue on these titles, but the matchmaking experience will be improved. Matchmaking/login and so on will thus all be through Steam."
This certainly trumps the efforts made by other studios to move their games onto Steam with some, like the Batman games, losing savegames and others like Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition losing access to DLC.
- Bungie explains their latest weapon balancing efforts in Destiny, promises more is coming
- Blizzard aiming to release Hearthstone on Android tablets by the end of the year
- Former BioWare man Casey Hudson hints at an Oculus Rift project
- Dark Souls on PC to switch from Games For Windows Live to Steam next month
- Square Enix announces details and pricing on the premium livestream of Final Fantasy XIV Fan Festival 2014
- First Challenge Mode DLC arrives next week for Alien: Isolation
- Metallica to close out this year's BlizzCon
- Free DLC adds a new skin and runes to Shadow Of Mordor
- ESL Gaming app arrives for the Xbox One