Dawn Of War series to migrate to Steam multiplayer to escape the GameSpy/GFWL closures
Relic Entertainment has announced that they will be migrating the multiplayer servers for Dawn Of War and Dawn Of War 2 over to Steam in order to escape the imminent closure of two fairly large online services.
Dawn Of War and its numerous expansion packs were all powered by GameSpy's online servers as it was still a major player in online gaming when they launched. Dawn Of War 2 and its first expansion Chaos Rising were powered by Games For Windows Live but Relic made the switch to Steam servers for the second expansion Retribution.
This is far more than just a simple migration though as Relic design lead Phillipe Boulle revealed that both Dawn Of War and Dawn Of War 2 and their expansions would be updated in the process to use the same matchmaking technology that powers Company Of Heroes 2's multiplayer.
Boulle wrote on the Steam Community Forums, "All titles in the franchise are being updated to use the same matchmaking and backend developed for Company of Heroes 2. This will not only mean multiplayer can continue on these titles, but the matchmaking experience will be improved. Matchmaking/login and so on will thus all be through Steam."
This certainly trumps the efforts made by other studios to move their games onto Steam with some, like the Batman games, losing savegames and others like Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition losing access to DLC.
- Thomas Was Alone gets a release date for PS4 and Wii U
- New Warframe update adds space-flight to the gameplay with Archwing mode
- New poll indicates that people believe online gaming is “the least welcoming space” for women
- CD Projekt RED releases The Trail, the opening cinematic from The Witcher 3
- New Project CARS trailer pulls up to the starting grid
- Far Cry 4 dev says linear games will suffer in the new world of gameplay video sharing
- Almost 1,100 developers, students and journalists sign the new #gamediversity petition embracing diversity in games
- Felicia Day breaks her silence about #Gamergate, is almost immediately doxxed
- Ubisoft announces PC specs for Assassin's Creed: Unity and they're killer