NeoGAF owner rejected an offer of 10 million USD for the site
NeoGAF owner Tyler Malka has revealed that he has been turning down some pretty large offers to buy the gaming community forum site.
Malka revealed on a thread on the site that he has been offered 5 million and even 10 million USD for NeoGAF.
“I’ve had some really lucrative offers – $5 million offers. Kind of insane, isn’t it? But – I’m passionate about what I do,” he stated. “It was about … maybe last year, is when major corporate buy-out offers really started to hit on a regular basis. That’s right around the time that I sort of investigated – out of curiosity – what sort of deal they’re actually offering here, because they talk figures right from the start.
He went on, “I investigated; I went through the process a little bit, gave them some information to evaluate – and then I got the – talking about, like, the 5 million dollar range sort of offer.”
Despite the incredible amounts of money he has been offered Malka is content to keep hold of NeoGAF for now.
He explained his reticence to sell, “When you’re getting into that range – ‘retire comfortably and take care of everybody you care about for the rest of your life’ – sort of money, then you really have to decide what the most important thing to you is. Do you feel like you’ve accomplished all you want to accomplish or not?”
“You can keep on doing things, obviously, after cashing out, but you can’t keep doing what… y’know, what you got to that level of success with,” he added, “Like, I’d still be running NeoGAF, I’d still be in control of it. Eventually I would probably leave it behind and move onto some other project that I would actually have control over again – and I wasn’t really comfortable with making that decision.”
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3