Layoffs hit Rare after Kinect Sports Rivals fails to impress
Microsoft have laid off some staff at Kinect Sports dev Rare after their latest title Kinect Sports Rivals failed to match expectations.
The GoldenEye and Banjo Kazooie developer has become Microsoft's go-to studio for the Kinect Sports series moving away from the kind of inventive original titles that they made their name on.
Microsoft said on the layoffs, "At Xbox, our goal is to constantly create new fun, social and interactive entertainment experiences. As part of Rare's commitment to this goal, we have made a decision to change our development process and methodology at Rare to best support our future projects, this has led to us reviewing the skills and the makeup of our development teams in our business. Rare continues to invest in our people and future projects."
- Borderlands 2 writer leaving Gearbox to join Freddie Wong's RocketJump production company
- Bloodborne will be harder than Demon's Souls and features procedurally generated dungeons
- Hearthstone users pass the 75 million mark, new expansion on the way says new report
- Square Enix unveils the Final Fantasy Type-0 Collector's Edition
- Life Is Strange arrives today
- SEGA cuts jobs in the biggest strategic shift since they binned the Dreamcast
- Big new update arrives for Frozen Cortex
- Introversion's Prison Architect will see its full launch this year, mobile version announced
- Ken Levine's next game is a first-person sci-fi title