Layoffs hit Rare after Kinect Sports Rivals fails to impress
Microsoft have laid off some staff at Kinect Sports dev Rare after their latest title Kinect Sports Rivals failed to match expectations.
The GoldenEye and Banjo Kazooie developer has become Microsoft's go-to studio for the Kinect Sports series moving away from the kind of inventive original titles that they made their name on.
Microsoft said on the layoffs, "At Xbox, our goal is to constantly create new fun, social and interactive entertainment experiences. As part of Rare's commitment to this goal, we have made a decision to change our development process and methodology at Rare to best support our future projects, this has led to us reviewing the skills and the makeup of our development teams in our business. Rare continues to invest in our people and future projects."
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3