NCSoft deny Tabula Rasa "financial disaster" talk
Lee Jae-ho, CFO of Korean online giant NCSoft, has described new MMO Tabula Rasa as a financial "disaster", while speaking with The Korean Times.
The futuristic MMO was crafted by genre veteran Richard Garriott, and boasts real-time combat and strategy in a vast persistent world. Unfortunately, however, the game has failed to garner the subscriptions hoped for.
"We are going to revamp our Austin development organization," the CFO revealed, confirming that the MMO studio is to be down-sized.
Rumour has it that Tabula Rasa cost over 54 million GBP to craft, and that the game only made 2.7 million GBP last year. This year's predictions are only slightly better at 8 million GBP.
"If you talk about our development cost we spent in the past several years, probably we are not making any money from this Tabula Rasa project. That should be the reality."
More on NCSoft Austin as we get it.
Update: NCSoft community manager Amy Crider has hit out at the Korean Times' report as "wildly inaccurate," while other sources cast doubt over the 54 million GBP (100 million USD) development cost figure mooted.
"Unfortunately, their writer has been responsible for several inflammatory articles containing sloppy reporting and erroneous content in the past year. They are by no means an 'official' source of information," Crider adds on the report.
- Trine series sells 7 million copies, Frozenbyte releases user-creation tools
- Lots of teary-eyed gamers as more Star Wars: Battlefront 3 gameplay footage leaks out
- Jade Raymond leaves Ubisoft Toronto to pursue new opportunities
- Ryse: Son Of Rome scores Best Game Design award at the Animago Awards in Germany
- Activision releases the launch trailer for Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare a little early
- Rockstar won't be holding a beta for GTA Online on the PC
- UK to toughen up laws on internet harassment
- Final Fantasy XIV Heavensward expansion announced for release next year, first screenshots released
- Driveclub issues persist as players report trouble downloading the latest patch