id Software insider: The studio is leaking top talent since the ZeniMax merger
Reports have emerged claiming to be from a staffer at id Software indicating that the studio has been seriously suffering since it merged with ZeniMax.
Since ZeniMax bought the iconic DOOM and Quake creators they have lost some key people in former GM Todd Hollenshead and co-founder John Carmack but these new comments which have surfaced on Reddit seem to show that the troubles run far deeper than a couple of veterans moving on.
Reddit user throwaway_zeni claims to be a developer at the studio and has stated that the studio has been leaking talent since the ZeniMax merger with other key individuals “checking out” as well. “We’ve been losing top-notch talent left and right ever since the Zenimax purchase, but more so after Rage didn’t do too well,” throwaway_zeni wrote.
“We’re alright now, but I really believe that this is no longer the place that it was when I started years ago. The office culture sucks a**, and unless you’re keen to sticking your nose up certain people’s a**es, or have been here since the days when we could actually ship games, then you’re not going to get very far.“
“Apart from giving us resources, they gave some INDIVIDUALS a huge payoff,” the source went on. “Those individuals proceeded to stop giving a f**k, in my opinion. I heard that the deal was that they would collect large sums of cash over the course of a couple years. As a result, most of them chequed out, and continue to sit on their a**es until they are completely payed off. I imagine once full payoff has been received after the Zeni deal, they’ll leave as well. They don’t care about this place, they care about money. These are my opinions.”
Id Software is currently working on DOOM 4 although, despite the mention of a beta for the game coming with pre-orders for this weeks release Wolfenstein: The New Order, it is still delayed indefinitely while they take the game back to the drawing board.
Thanks Dark Side Of Gaming.
- Ninja Theory: We'll cross the 1080p/60fps bridge for Hellblade when we come to it
- Standalone DayZ not expected to leave Steam Early Access until 2016
- Telltale gives their Game Of Thrones series final release dates
- Large patch arrives to tackle the matchmaking issues with Halo: The Master Chief Collection
- BioWare looking into a bug stopping banter between party members in Dragon Age: Inquisition
- New Assassin's Creed: Unity patch introduces a new visual bug
- Metal Gear Online will return, reveal coming at The Game Awards 2014
- Ever wanted to know which next-gen console would survive a 15-foot drop?
- New Assassin's Creed: Unity patch is a bit on the large side