Performance on PS4 and Xbox One are closer than with PS3 and Xbox 360 says Machinegames
Machinegames, the developer behind the new Wolfenstein game out this week, have been talking of their experiences the differences between the PS4 and Xbox One hardware.
Senior gameplay designer Andreas Ojerfors has explained that the PS4 and Xbox One are much closer to each other in terms of performance than the PS3 and Xbox 360 were.
"There was a much bigger difference in making a game for both PS3 and Xbox 360 back in the day than what it is now,” he stated. “The new platforms are much, much more similar to work with than what we're used to. So it is less of a challenge this time than it has been before."
Of course id's impressive id Tech 5 game engine has helped a lot in affording them a powerful baseline to build Wolfenstein: The New Order on both console generations as well as the PC.
"It's about creating an engine that is from the very bottom up built to scale,” Ojerfors added. "I think from the beginning when we got our hands on id Tech, we realised it was an engine that was built to scale very well between different platforms... And it's been an ongoing effort both among the engineers here at MachineGames but also with a great deal of help from id's software to make sure it's an engine that continues to scale on the next generation of platforms."
- Thomas Was Alone gets a release date for PS4 and Wii U
- New Warframe update adds space-flight to the gameplay with Archwing mode
- New poll indicates that people believe online gaming is “the least welcoming space” for women
- CD Projekt RED releases The Trail, the opening cinematic from The Witcher 3
- New Project CARS trailer pulls up to the starting grid
- Far Cry 4 dev says linear games will suffer in the new world of gameplay video sharing
- Almost 1,100 developers, students and journalists sign the new #gamediversity petition embracing diversity in games
- Felicia Day breaks her silence about #Gamergate, is almost immediately doxxed
- Ubisoft announces PC specs for Assassin's Creed: Unity and they're killer