Destiny not coming to PC, for now
Bungie has explained their reasoning behind not releasing a PC version of Destiny at the same time as the console versions.
The studio is handling all of work on Destiny in-house, developing versions for PS4, PS3, Xbox One and Xbox 360 as well as doing all of the QA themselves, hence the 500-strong workforce holed up in their Bellevue HQ in Washington State.
This makes adding a PC version much more problematic, especially given that PC games need more intensive QA testing that their counterparts to ensure compatibility with as many different setups as possible.
Lars Bakken, Destiny's design lead explained as much. He stated, "The truth is it's not that simple. I wish it was that simple. It's pretty complicated. That doesn't mean it can't happen in the future, it just means it won't happen right now."
Bakken added, "The console SKUs are really important for us and that's what we're focusing on. We're doing it all internally ourselves. That's a huge endeavour. That's not something we've ever done before. So when I'm playtesting and I'm trying to play PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PS3, that's a lot of work. Adding another thing on there is just crazy. It's crazy to think of right now."
Bungie's COO, Pete Parsons hasn't ruled out bringing Destiny to the PC in the future though. He added cryptically, "I look forward to our future conversations around PC. We love the PC. We hear it too. We ask the question of ourselves."
Destiny will hit PS4, PS3, Xbox One and Xbox 360 on September the 9th.
- Feminist Frequency's Anita Sarkeesian driven out of her home by internet abuse
- Shadow Realms lead writer talks the inspiration behind the game's story
- PlayStation Allstars and Joe Danger headline September's PS Plus Instant Game Collection
- Titanfall will ge more cool free stuff after the last DLC but Respawn won't support it indefinitely
- Gauntlet release date pushed back
- Yakuza Zero announced for PS4 and PS3
- Escape Dead Island gets a release date, comes with guaranteed access to the Dead Island 2 beta
- Diablo III: Reaper Of Souls PC patch 2.1.0 arrives
- Next-gen and PC GTA V versions rumoured to be delayed into 2015