Welcome to the Powerdrome
Sounding a little like a 1980's action movie with a Frankie Goes to Hollywood soundtrack, comes Powerdrome, another newly announced title from Argonaut. This futuristic racer will be developed by the company's Sheffield studio, and will be out on the Xbox and PS2.
The game is based on the classic Amiga / Atari original, and promises a number of gravity defying races, taking place across several courses, locations and championships. All manner of out of this world vehicles will also, of course, compete.
Original designer Michael Powell now heads the team developing the new Powerdrome and despairs of the lack of distinctiveness in recent future-racing titles. Quantum Redshift anyone?
"We looked at the genre and decided at some point it had taken a wrong turn. With Powerdrome we intend to offer ultra high-speed racing in its purest form, no floating pick-ups, no tacked-on weapons, you only need those when the racing itself isn't good enough. We are dumping the gimmicks and putting the skill back in," rants Powell.
This fast-paced title will include support for Xbox Live, enabling gamers to go head-to-head online. It might actually be quite good, too.
- Valve's Chet Faliszek has been confirmed as the first developer session for EGX Rezzed 2015
- One area from Zelda Wii U is as big as the entirety of Skyward Sword
- Telltale's new collaboration is with Mojang, on a Minecraft story game
- Franklin voice actor indicates GTA V story DLC is on the way
- Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire and Bully sequels will come when the time is right says Rockstar
- Telltale teases another collaboration with another game developer
- New Company Of Heroes 2: Ardennes Assault trailer recognizes the 70th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge
- New Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare trailer focuses on character customization
- Splash Damage's free-to-play shooter Dirty Bomb coming to Steam in the new year