PS3 sales rival Wii in Europe
The Xbox 360 looks like it could be entering a post Halo 3 lull, if recent figures from Europe prove indicative of things to come, the PlayStation 3 out-selling Microsoft's machine by nearly two-to-one, with Sony also closing the gap on Nintendo's Wii.
The Wii still leads the way, but Sony's autumnal price cutting and PR push seems to be working with the PS3 just 6,000 sales short of the Wii for the week ending October 21st. The Xbox, meanwhile, was unusually off the pace - languishing on 37,000 for the week.
The figures were compiled by VGChartz and are unofficial, but certainly seem to suggest improving fortunes at Sony, while Microsoft will be looking to games like Mass Effect in order to re-assert their previous dominance - which followed so naturally Halo 3's release.
Here's a full run-down of the week's sales:
- DS: 171,260
- Wii: 70,322
- PS3: 64,087
- PS2: 57,152
- PSP: 54,449
- 360: 37,303
- GBA: 2,286
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3