Titanfall producer: I don't care about profits as long as folks enjoy playing the game
Drew McCoy, producer on Titanfall, is not interested in profit margins as long as people enjoy playing the game.
McCoy stated, "I don't know if it's making a profit, I don't know if it's meeting sales expectations. I don't really care. I care that I worked on a game that I can sit down and enjoy playing. The fact that people enjoy it and it has made enough that we [get to] continue supporting it as a studio, that's to me a success. We make games because we love them and we want other people to play them with us."
Having said that Titanfall has done enough to justify EA securing the rights to publish a sequel even before the Xbox 360 version was released last week.The Respawn man does hope that Titanfall has done enough to provide an entertaining alternative to the big guns of the multiplayer FPS genre like Call Of Duty and Battlefield.
"I don't know if we've disrupted it,” he continued. “People are still going to make the cinematic 5-6 hour single-player, they're going to make the multiplayer, and maybe co-op that sandwiches in between. They're still going to throw 600 people at it, and do production values for production values' sake. But what I hope it's done is opened up designers to trying new things."
McCoy added, "There's been some really colossal failures...there's been games that looked at what's popular and go 'oh, if we have this, people will buy our game.' And then it just completely fails, because they missed the reason as to why that game was good and they didn't try anything new. So I hope what Titanfall does, as a gamer and as someone who wants to see the industry get better and make cooler stuff, is try new things and not just try and copy what's good."
- New Overwatch videos show off Hanzo and McCree
- Tychus loses his cigar for his appearance in Heroes Of The Storm
- Capcom details the Ultra Street Fighter IV PS4 upgrades
- Codemasters releases a teaser for F1 2015
- Total War: Arena gameplay unveiled
- Warner Bros bringing Batman's cowl and cape from Batman: Arkham Knight to MCM Comic-Con this weekend
- Red Thread gives an update on Dreamfall Chapters Book Three
- Sony releases a pretty 1080p gameplay video of God Of War III on PS4
- Techland shelves Hellraid to focus on Dying Light