World Of Tanks developer to invest 10 million USD into eSports this year
Wargaming has announced that they plan to invest 10 million USD into World Of Tanks' eSports presence this year.
The Polish developer hopes to expand the presence of their flagship free-to-play title having grown the volume of players and tournaments from 30,000 and 120 respectively in 2012 to 1000 tournaments and 200,000 players in 2013.
"With our eSports team we founded a company within the company," said Wargaming CEO Victor Kisyli. "They take care not only about game features to cater to spectators, but also about the physical organisation of the tournaments. In the beginning, it was not so much us who wanted to introduce World of Tanks to eSports, it was the players themselves who wanted to be more competitive."
World Of Tanks currently boasts 80 million registered players world wide and it launched earlier this year on the Xbox 360.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3