World Of Tanks developer to invest 10 million USD into eSports this year
Wargaming has announced that they plan to invest 10 million USD into World Of Tanks' eSports presence this year.
The Polish developer hopes to expand the presence of their flagship free-to-play title having grown the volume of players and tournaments from 30,000 and 120 respectively in 2012 to 1000 tournaments and 200,000 players in 2013.
"With our eSports team we founded a company within the company," said Wargaming CEO Victor Kisyli. "They take care not only about game features to cater to spectators, but also about the physical organisation of the tournaments. In the beginning, it was not so much us who wanted to introduce World of Tanks to eSports, it was the players themselves who wanted to be more competitive."
World Of Tanks currently boasts 80 million registered players world wide and it launched earlier this year on the Xbox 360.
- Classic PC survival horror series returns with Alone In The Dark: Illumination
- Resident Evil: Revelations 2 confirmed with a concept trailer
- Xbox One owners, Destiny wants to eat your hard drive
- Saints Row IV modding tools released for PC
- Volition's Steve Jaros: Sarkeesian was right to call out Saints Row
- Playable Silent Hill teaser P.T. downloaded 1 million times
- Blooborne gets a Japanese release date
- Rockstar says no delay to next-gen GTA V, November release date rumoured
- Harmonix announces A City Sleeps, their new music-driven shooter