The Snowdrop Engine powering The Division has been 5 years in development
Massive Entertainment has revealed that their Snowdrop Engine, the power behind The Division, has been in development for five years already.
Rodrigo Cortes brand art director at Massive gave revealed that they began developing the engine with the idea that they wanted to be able to build triple-A games with a smaller development team.
"We started to work on [Snowdrop] very early on, like, around five years ago, thinking of what would be coming in the next-generation and what were the challenges, and also looking at the constraints we have,” Cortes explained. “We're in Sweden, we have a way of working where we don't have the amount of people or the types of games we want to make. So we wanted to make a AAA game that would compete with the biggest in the industry while having a reasonably-sized studio like Massive.”
He went on, "The whole development very early on was based on those constraints. How are we going to tackle next-gen? How are we going to tackle AAA production? The solution was to make a new engine, and it was coupled to The Division very early on."
Snowdrop is the fourth next-gen engine in the works at Ubisoft along with the Assassin's Creed Anvil Next engine, the Dunia engine that powered Far Cry 3 and Watch Dogs' Disrupt engine.
- Warren Spector lifts the lid on Junction Point's cancelled Half-Life 2 episode
- Ubisoft pledges to match up to 100,000 CAD of donations to aid Far Cry 4's inspiration Nepal recover from the earthquake
- Square Enix shows off their new DirectX 12-powered Luminous Studio engine
- Overkill's The Walking Dead game coming to PC and consoles next year
- Sony to release The Last Of Us DLC Left Behind as a standalone downloadable
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided trailer was a bit violent for Warren Spector's tastes
- Dragon Age: Inquisition's Jaws Of Hakkon DLC to arrive on Xbox 360 and PlayStation consoles this month
- EA gives a date and time for their 2015 E3 press conference
- Frozen Cortex gets a large free update