The Snowdrop Engine powering The Division has been 5 years in development
Massive Entertainment has revealed that their Snowdrop Engine, the power behind The Division, has been in development for five years already.
Rodrigo Cortes brand art director at Massive gave revealed that they began developing the engine with the idea that they wanted to be able to build triple-A games with a smaller development team.
"We started to work on [Snowdrop] very early on, like, around five years ago, thinking of what would be coming in the next-generation and what were the challenges, and also looking at the constraints we have,” Cortes explained. “We're in Sweden, we have a way of working where we don't have the amount of people or the types of games we want to make. So we wanted to make a AAA game that would compete with the biggest in the industry while having a reasonably-sized studio like Massive.”
He went on, "The whole development very early on was based on those constraints. How are we going to tackle next-gen? How are we going to tackle AAA production? The solution was to make a new engine, and it was coupled to The Division very early on."
Snowdrop is the fourth next-gen engine in the works at Ubisoft along with the Assassin's Creed Anvil Next engine, the Dunia engine that powered Far Cry 3 and Watch Dogs' Disrupt engine.
- Report finds that the 100 USD tier of Assassin's Creed: Unity's microtransactions is completely unnecessary
- Final Fantasy Type-0 HD gets a new trailer
- Bungie deconstructs their latest Destiny patch, hints at what is coming next
- DayZ creator Dean Hall could join UK studio Improbable
- Shadow Of Mordor arrives on last-gen consoles
- David Braben apologises for ditching Elite: Dangerous's offline mode, outlines refund criteria
- Microsoft celebrates the 1st birthday of the Xbox One with free access to Sunset Overdrive
- Hacker group leaks account details for thousands of PSN, Origin, Windows Live and 2K Game Studios accounts
- RedLynx promises online multiplayer is coming to Trials Fusion early next year