EA Sports eyes mainstream fame
New EA Sports boss and former Xbox big-wig Peter Moore has outlined his vision to take the EA Sports brand into new spheres, beyond gaming, with the boss taking up his new role this week.
Speaking to the press as he became president of EA Sports, Moore outlined his vision for the company, stating that he hadn't taken the opportunity to join the publishing division in order to merely "sell more Maddens and more FIFAs."
He said he hoped the EA Sports brand would one day not only be doing battle with gaming labels like 2K and Konami, but also one day battling the giants of the sports world, Nike and ESPN.
"There is a great opportunity to take EA Sports and turn it into a general sports brand that can compete not only with Take-Two and Konami and the other usual suspects in the video game world, to look at ourselves in a different way and compete with the likes of Nike and ESPN to win the hearts and minds of a very desirable demographic group, which is the 14-to-34-year-old male worldwide," the new president explained.
Moore hinted that this new ambition might come in the form of EA Sports branded consumer goods, broadcast sports and camps, or it might mean better online services and other sporting technologies.
Moore also spoke about EA Sports GameShow, an online quiz contest launching on the PC this autumn, which will see players battling it out for sporting knowledge bragging rights. Moore revealed that if the ad-funded online title was a hit, then more products might follow.
More from Moore, soon.
- StarCraft 2 pro-player expelled from Fragbite Masters tournament for Twitter rape comment about a female opponent
- New video gives a sneak peek at Destiny's first DLC The Dark Below
- Sony claims “no evidence” of a breach after hacker group claims to have leaked PSN account details online
- Activision using copyright strikes to remove Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare glitch videos from YouTube
- Steam Thanksgiving Sale to begin later this week
- Irrational Games seems to be hiring again
- Gorgeous Xbox One metroidvania adventure Ori And The Blind Forest delayed into next year
- Crytek bringing the action fo Warface to Siberia
- Warner Bros releases brand new Batman: Arkham Knight gameplay footage