EA Sports eyes mainstream fame
New EA Sports boss and former Xbox big-wig Peter Moore has outlined his vision to take the EA Sports brand into new spheres, beyond gaming, with the boss taking up his new role this week.
Speaking to the press as he became president of EA Sports, Moore outlined his vision for the company, stating that he hadn't taken the opportunity to join the publishing division in order to merely "sell more Maddens and more FIFAs."
He said he hoped the EA Sports brand would one day not only be doing battle with gaming labels like 2K and Konami, but also one day battling the giants of the sports world, Nike and ESPN.
"There is a great opportunity to take EA Sports and turn it into a general sports brand that can compete not only with Take-Two and Konami and the other usual suspects in the video game world, to look at ourselves in a different way and compete with the likes of Nike and ESPN to win the hearts and minds of a very desirable demographic group, which is the 14-to-34-year-old male worldwide," the new president explained.
Moore hinted that this new ambition might come in the form of EA Sports branded consumer goods, broadcast sports and camps, or it might mean better online services and other sporting technologies.
Moore also spoke about EA Sports GameShow, an online quiz contest launching on the PC this autumn, which will see players battling it out for sporting knowledge bragging rights. Moore revealed that if the ad-funded online title was a hit, then more products might follow.
More from Moore, soon.
- Visuals are key to the PS4's success according to Nielsen's latest survey
- Sledgehammer considering revisiting classic multiplayer maps for Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare
- New ToeJam & Earl game comes to Kickstarter
- Free login campaign announced as Final Fantasy XIV tops 4 million registered users
- Fable Legends will be free-to-play on both PC and Xbox One
- Bastion will hit the PS4 in April
- Sierra bringing Velocity 2X to Xbox One and PC
- This month is a triple-A bonanza for Xbox gamers on Games With Gold
- New House Of Wolves leak shows a Reef social hub for Destiny