Games Convention declared a hit
Last week's Leipzig Games Convention has officially been declared a hit, with some 185,000 gaming folk attending the annual expo, held in the former east German trade city an hour south of Berlin.
The four day event played host to several major announcements, and saw the industry gathering to discuss the future and show of their wares behind closed-doors, while avid gamers flooded the halls of the Leipzig Messe in search of all things fun - as well inexplicably joining huge queues to watch videos of Unreal Tournament 3 and Quake Wars.
Apparently, over 50% of visitors were over 20, and more than one fifth were women, which is encouraging. We also learn that 45% of visitors play casual games, though can confirm that your humble reporter is not counted among this number, as he ran away when the survey lady tried to corner him. 503 exhibitors showed their goodies, with more than 90% of these people promising to be back for the show next year.
Over 3,000 members of the press attended the expo, which explains the lack of the promised 'free lunch' in the press suite, as well as the dizzyingly slow wi-fi connection we occasionally had to battle. Perhaps the real stars of the show were Sony, who pulled out innumerable stops to demonstrate that they're back in business, though who can discount the impact of games like PES 2008, Wet and BioShock, either.
Despite show floor tittle-tattle of a move to Frankfurt next year, we're told the Leipzig Games Convention will return on August 20 - 24, 2008. We'll be booking our hotel rooms in advance, this time, in order to avoid the neon glow from the questionable establishment opposite our hotel in the nearby industrial town of Halle. More soon.
- October PS Plus Instant Game Collection line-up announced with Driveclub as a bonus
- Betas planned for every platform should ensure Battlefield: Hardline will work at launch
- Latest patch for Battlefield 4 fixes just about everything and unblocks your kitchen sink
- Warface gets updated with new maps and a few gameplay tweaks
- Platinum Games' Hideki Kamiya gives one final response to those begging for Bayonetta 2 to be released on PS4 and Xbox One
- Shadow Of Mordor devs not worried by the Assassin's Creed comparisons
- LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham heading to New York ComicCon 2014
- Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty gets brand new 'Old School' controls
- Bungie concedes that Destiny's storyline was recut less than a year from release