Games Convention declared a hit
Last week's Leipzig Games Convention has officially been declared a hit, with some 185,000 gaming folk attending the annual expo, held in the former east German trade city an hour south of Berlin.
The four day event played host to several major announcements, and saw the industry gathering to discuss the future and show of their wares behind closed-doors, while avid gamers flooded the halls of the Leipzig Messe in search of all things fun - as well inexplicably joining huge queues to watch videos of Unreal Tournament 3 and Quake Wars.
Apparently, over 50% of visitors were over 20, and more than one fifth were women, which is encouraging. We also learn that 45% of visitors play casual games, though can confirm that your humble reporter is not counted among this number, as he ran away when the survey lady tried to corner him. 503 exhibitors showed their goodies, with more than 90% of these people promising to be back for the show next year.
Over 3,000 members of the press attended the expo, which explains the lack of the promised 'free lunch' in the press suite, as well as the dizzyingly slow wi-fi connection we occasionally had to battle. Perhaps the real stars of the show were Sony, who pulled out innumerable stops to demonstrate that they're back in business, though who can discount the impact of games like PES 2008, Wet and BioShock, either.
Despite show floor tittle-tattle of a move to Frankfurt next year, we're told the Leipzig Games Convention will return on August 20 - 24, 2008. We'll be booking our hotel rooms in advance, this time, in order to avoid the neon glow from the questionable establishment opposite our hotel in the nearby industrial town of Halle. More soon.
- Hideo Kojima and Guillermo Del Toro collaboration Silent Hills looks like it has been canned
- Batman: Arkham Knight will have GTA V-style character switching
- Call Of Duty: Black Ops III coming this November, skipping last-gen release
- The Iron Banner returns to Destiny next week
- Jason Voorhees DLC coming to Mortal Kombat X next month
- Square Enix announces their own E3 press conference
- Avalanche to reveal Just Cause 3's gameplay next week
- EA Sports Rory McIlroy PGA Tour delayed a touch
- Telltale announces a new deal with Marvel