EA CEO Andrew Wilson wants to forget the distractions of platforms, business models to focus on making great games
EA has been the focus of some major negative attention over the invasive microtransactions in their recent free-to-play version of Bullfrog's PC classic Dungeon Keeper.
The company's new CEO, Andrew Wilson believes that business models and different platforms are a distraction and he just wants EA to focus on making great games.
“Every video game is hard to make,” Wilson began. “It takes long hours, and you really have to love it. What I hope comes with me in this job is that there’s that renewed passion for what we do, which is make great interactive entertainment. At the end of the day, that also comes with an understanding of what our people go through in order to make great games.
He continued, “If the industry can avoid the distraction of platforms, of geographies, of business models, and really just focus on making great games for whatever their target audience is, for whatever that gamer-centric group of people is; then I think we’ll be all right. These other distractions are not without merit and they’re important, but they can’t be your centre.”
“Great games work no matter what platform you’re on or what business model you’re going with,” Wilson concluded. “If you can provide great entertainment, then you can really get down to that minute-to-minute interaction that’s fun and enjoyable and feels like great value.”
- Thomas Was Alone gets a release date for PS4 and Wii U
- New Warframe update adds space-flight to the gameplay with Archwing mode
- New poll indicates that people believe online gaming is “the least welcoming space” for women
- CD Projekt RED releases The Trail, the opening cinematic from The Witcher 3
- New Project CARS trailer pulls up to the starting grid
- Far Cry 4 dev says linear games will suffer in the new world of gameplay video sharing
- Almost 1,100 developers, students and journalists sign the new #gamediversity petition embracing diversity in games
- Felicia Day breaks her silence about #Gamergate, is almost immediately doxxed
- Ubisoft announces PC specs for Assassin's Creed: Unity and they're killer