Yu Suzuki exploring Kickstarter for Shenmue 3
Elusive creator of the fan-favoured Shenmue series Yu Suzuki has confirmed that he's researching Kickstarter as an option for creating the final part of the series.
Suzuki has made an appearance at this year's GDC to talk about development of the first Shenmue game and he's fielded some questions on the future of the series. During the Q&A after his developer session he indicated that he would like to make Shenmue 3 if the “right opportunity” presented itself.
Afterwards Eurogamer pressed him to see if he'd been looking at Kickstarter as a way of funding the game. He replied, "Yes, I am researching it."
The series has been on hiatus since SEGA shelved it after they canned the Dreamcast and transitioned to a software-only company and fans have been a little upset about being left hanging after the end of Shenmue 2. It emerged earlier this year that SEGA has let their trademark of the series lapse.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3