Wii looks to pass Xbox 360 soon
Sales of the Wii console could very soon surpass those of the Xbox 360 - despite Microsoft's year-long lead over the rival system from Nintendo. The latest figures from the VG Chartz website, which claims to use retailer figures from around the globe, estimates that 10.10 million Wii units have been shifted, versus 10.32 million Xbox 360s.
While the figures aren't official, VG Chartz promise to provide "very accurate projections of the latest console sell through figures worldwide". Over-the-counter sales data is used. The Wii's success in Japan seems to be the main driving force - while the 360s failure in the same region sees the console struggling to make up the difference in other regions.
VG Chartz predicts that the PS3 has shifted 4.11 million systems, including 1.08m in Japan, 1.78m in the US and 1.25m elsewhere. The DS, meanwhile, has managed 46.83 million worldwide while the PSP has so far shifted 22.37 million - if you believe the site's number-magic.
All the latest console sales news as we get it.
- Team Junkfish's procedural survival horror Monstrum to return to Steam Early Access
- Miyamoto: Next Mario game might not arrive until Nintendo releases a new console
- Final Fantasy trailer drop continues with a new look at Final Fantasy XV
- New Final Fantasy Type-0 HD trailer drops
- Activision gives a first look at the new Exo Zombies mode for Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare
- Rockstar announces a Christmas bumper bonanza for GTA Online
- Hazelight to use the Unreal Engine 4 for their first game
- 343 Industries to offer Halo: ODST remastered campaign to apologise for Halo: The Master Chief Collection multiplayer problems
- Court rules that lawsuit against Sony over Killzone: Shadow Fall's 1080p claims