GTA IV delayed until 2008
Late bombshell news in from the United States with word reaching us that Grand Theft Auto IV has been delayed until 2008. The eagerly awaited sequel was due for release in October.
The complexity of the first next-gen GTA appears to have put pay to a 2007 debut, with the game pushed back into the second-quarter of 2008, which covers February to April next year. Unsurprisingly, Rockstar cite their perfectionism and a focus upon key areas of the game for the slippage - which will come as a blow to many fans.
"With Grand Theft Auto IV, Rockstar is setting a new standard for next generation video games. Certain elements of development proved to be more time-intensive than expected, especially given the commitment for a simultaneous release on two very different platforms," lamented Strauss Zelnick, Chairman of Take-Two. "We all recognize that perfecting the game is vital and I can assure everyone it will be worth the wait. We owe it to the game's millions of fans, to our dedicated development team, and to our shareholders to make sure that Grand Theft Auto IV is a groundbreaking gaming experience that takes maximum advantage of next generation technology."
"The new consoles are allowing us to create the Grand Theft Auto game we always dreamed about. Every aspect of the game and its design has been completely transformed. The game is huge and is pushing the hardware platforms to their absolute limits," added Sam Houser, Founder and Executive Producer of Rockstar Games. "The top engineers from Sony and Microsoft are working closely with the team in Edinburgh right now, helping us to fully leverage the power of both platforms. As always, our goal is to surpass even the wildest expectations of the game's fans, and to create the ultimate high definition video game experience."
So 2008 it is. Sorry folks.
- Ninja Theory: We'll cross the 1080p/60fps bridge for Hellblade when we come to it
- Standalone DayZ not expected to leave Steam Early Access until 2016
- Telltale gives their Game Of Thrones series final release dates
- Large patch arrives to tackle the matchmaking issues with Halo: The Master Chief Collection
- BioWare looking into a bug stopping banter between party members in Dragon Age: Inquisition
- New Assassin's Creed: Unity patch introduces a new visual bug
- Metal Gear Online will return, reveal coming at The Game Awards 2014
- Ever wanted to know which next-gen console would survive a 15-foot drop?
- New Assassin's Creed: Unity patch is a bit on the large side