GTA IV delayed until 2008
Late bombshell news in from the United States with word reaching us that Grand Theft Auto IV has been delayed until 2008. The eagerly awaited sequel was due for release in October.
The complexity of the first next-gen GTA appears to have put pay to a 2007 debut, with the game pushed back into the second-quarter of 2008, which covers February to April next year. Unsurprisingly, Rockstar cite their perfectionism and a focus upon key areas of the game for the slippage - which will come as a blow to many fans.
"With Grand Theft Auto IV, Rockstar is setting a new standard for next generation video games. Certain elements of development proved to be more time-intensive than expected, especially given the commitment for a simultaneous release on two very different platforms," lamented Strauss Zelnick, Chairman of Take-Two. "We all recognize that perfecting the game is vital and I can assure everyone it will be worth the wait. We owe it to the game's millions of fans, to our dedicated development team, and to our shareholders to make sure that Grand Theft Auto IV is a groundbreaking gaming experience that takes maximum advantage of next generation technology."
"The new consoles are allowing us to create the Grand Theft Auto game we always dreamed about. Every aspect of the game and its design has been completely transformed. The game is huge and is pushing the hardware platforms to their absolute limits," added Sam Houser, Founder and Executive Producer of Rockstar Games. "The top engineers from Sony and Microsoft are working closely with the team in Edinburgh right now, helping us to fully leverage the power of both platforms. As always, our goal is to surpass even the wildest expectations of the game's fans, and to create the ultimate high definition video game experience."
So 2008 it is. Sorry folks.
- Possible dates for the Steam Summer Sale appear online
- Rise Of The Tomb Raider on Xbox 360 doesn't appear in Square Enix's financials for this year
- The Iron Banner returns to Destiny next week with new gear and rewards
- Titanfall developers Respawn won't be at E3 this year
- Destiny: Xur's location and stock for May 28th
- Destiny's Trials Of Osiris declared a success, Bungie bans cheaters
- FIFA 16 will throw women's teams into the mix
- New The Elder Scrolls Online trailer shows off the expansive world of Tamriel
- Batman: Arkham Knight gets a new 7-minute gameplay trailer