Nobody expected Metal Gear Solid to sell says Hideo Kojima
Hideo Kojima has revealed that the success of Metal Gear Solid came very much as a surprise to both him and publisher Konami.
Speaking in a recent interview over on Konami's Twitch channel Kojima-san revealed that nobody expected Metal Gear Solid to become the runaway success that it was.
"Neither I nor anyone else expected Metal Gear Solid to sell at all,” Kojima explained, “so I was fortunate because I didn't have to think, ‘I have to sell this game this much,' so pretty much all I did was put in the game all the things I liked. Also, people surrounding me didn't have expectations. I didn't have the pressure of ‘you have to sell this much,' so that was really good."
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is out next week on PS4, PS3, Xbox One and Xbox 360.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3