Audio is the reason for Titanfall's 48GB install on the PC
Respawn has explained the reason behind the massive 48GB hard disc install for the PC version of Titanfall.
The game's lead engineer Richard Baker revealed that almost all of the 48GB installation on the PC version is uncompressed audio to make sure that minimum spec PCs don't use up valuable system resources on decompressing the game's audio files.
"Yeah, basically when you download the game or the disc itself, it's a lot smaller than that,” Baker explained. “We have audio we either download or install from the disc, then we uncompress it. We probably could have had audio decompress off disc but we were a little worried about min spec and the fact that a two-core machine would dedicate a huge chunk of one core to just decompressing audio.”
He continued, “So... it's almost all audio... On a higher PC it wouldn't be an issue. On a medium or moderate PC, it wouldn't be an issue, it's that on a two-core [machine] with where our min spec is, we couldn't dedicate those resources to audio."
Titanfall's minimum PC specs are as follows:
- OS: Windows Vista SP2 64-bit / Windows 7 SP1 64-bit / Windows 8 64-bit
- CPU: AMD Athlon X2 2.8GHz / Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
- RAM: At least 4 GB
- HDD: At least 50GB of free space
- VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 4770 with 512MB RAM or better / Nvidia GeForce 8800GT with 512MB RAM or better
- DirectX: DirectX 11
Titanfall is out today on PC and Xbox One in North America and March the 14th in Europe and the UK.
- New Assassin's Creed: Unity patch is a bit on the large side
- Wonder what Zombie mode looks like for Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare? Here's a trailer
- Xbox 360 Titanfall players getting a massive update next week
- Ubisoft pulls the Assassin's Creed: Unity Season Pass, offering free DLC and games to apologize for the problems with the game
- Dark Souls migration over to Steam delayed into next month now
- Sony to give partial refunds to PS Vita early adopters over misleading launch advertising
- And here's the goodies that Games With Gold will get you in December
- Nival announces beta access and a massive gun for pre-ordering Blitzkrieg 3
- Evolve developers promise that all map DLC will be free