Audio is the reason for Titanfall's 48GB install on the PC
Respawn has explained the reason behind the massive 48GB hard disc install for the PC version of Titanfall.
The game's lead engineer Richard Baker revealed that almost all of the 48GB installation on the PC version is uncompressed audio to make sure that minimum spec PCs don't use up valuable system resources on decompressing the game's audio files.
"Yeah, basically when you download the game or the disc itself, it's a lot smaller than that,” Baker explained. “We have audio we either download or install from the disc, then we uncompress it. We probably could have had audio decompress off disc but we were a little worried about min spec and the fact that a two-core machine would dedicate a huge chunk of one core to just decompressing audio.”
He continued, “So... it's almost all audio... On a higher PC it wouldn't be an issue. On a medium or moderate PC, it wouldn't be an issue, it's that on a two-core [machine] with where our min spec is, we couldn't dedicate those resources to audio."
Titanfall's minimum PC specs are as follows:
- OS: Windows Vista SP2 64-bit / Windows 7 SP1 64-bit / Windows 8 64-bit
- CPU: AMD Athlon X2 2.8GHz / Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
- RAM: At least 4 GB
- HDD: At least 50GB of free space
- VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 4770 with 512MB RAM or better / Nvidia GeForce 8800GT with 512MB RAM or better
- DirectX: DirectX 11
Titanfall is out today on PC and Xbox One in North America and March the 14th in Europe and the UK.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3