Guerilla Games explains the screen resolution issues associated with the Killzone: Shadow Fall
Guerilla Games has taken steps to explain the rendering techniques they use in the multiplayer modes of Killzone: Shadow Fall.
A new blog post gives details on the techniques they use for the multiplayer modes after Eurogamer's Digital Foundry man Richard Leadbetter found that the Shadow Fall's multiplayer modes seemed to be running at a resolution of 960x1080 instead of 1920x1080 (full 1080p).
Guerilla producer Poria Torkan explains, "In both SP and MP, Killzone Shadow Fall outputs a full, unscaled 1080p image at up to 60fps.” “Native is often used to indicate images that are not scaled; it is native by that definition,” she continued. "In multiplayer mode, however, we use a technique called 'temporal reprojection', which combines pixels and motion vectors from multiple lower-resolution frames to reconstruct a full 1080p image. If native means that every part of the pipeline is 1080p then this technique is not native.”
"Games often employ different resolutions in different parts of their rendering pipeline,” she continued. “Most games render particles and ambient occlusion at a lower resolution, while some games even do all lighting at a lower resolution. This is generally still called native 1080p. The technique used in Killzone Shadow Fall goes further and reconstructs half of the pixels from past frames.”
"We recognise the community's degree of investment on this matter,” Torkan concluded, “and that the conventional terminology used before may be too vague to effectively convey what's going on under the hood. As such we will do our best to be more precise with our language in the future."
- New Overwatch videos show off Hanzo and McCree
- Tychus loses his cigar for his appearance in Heroes Of The Storm
- Capcom details the Ultra Street Fighter IV PS4 upgrades
- Codemasters releases a teaser for F1 2015
- Total War: Arena gameplay unveiled
- Warner Bros bringing Batman's cowl and cape from Batman: Arkham Knight to MCM Comic-Con this weekend
- Red Thread gives an update on Dreamfall Chapters Book Three
- Sony releases a pretty 1080p gameplay video of God Of War III on PS4
- Techland shelves Hellraid to focus on Dying Light