Turbine to cease development on Asheron's Call after 15 years
Turbine has announced that they are to cease development on their long-running MMORPG Asheron's Call.
It would be hard to be an MMO fan and not know about Asheron's Call as the game has been running for the best part of the last 15 years and now Turbine, who also make Lord Of The Rings Online and upcoming MOBA Infinite Crisis, have decided to move onto more current projects.
They made the announcement on the Asheron's Call forums explaining that "players should have the expectation that updates will be limited to maintenance, bug fixes, and perhaps balance iterations". It's not the end for the venerable MMO as it still has a vibrant player community.
Turbine will keep the game up and running for the moment but they will also be working with the community over the course of the next year to teach folks how to set up and run their own Asheron's Call servers.
- Bungie explains their latest weapon balancing efforts in Destiny, promises more is coming
- Blizzard aiming to release Hearthstone on Android tablets by the end of the year
- Former BioWare man Casey Hudson hints at an Oculus Rift project
- Dark Souls on PC to switch from Games For Windows Live to Steam next month
- Square Enix announces details and pricing on the premium livestream of Final Fantasy XIV Fan Festival 2014
- First Challenge Mode DLC arrives next week for Alien: Isolation
- Metallica to close out this year's BlizzCon
- Free DLC adds a new skin and runes to Shadow Of Mordor
- ESL Gaming app arrives for the Xbox One