Turbine to cease development on Asheron's Call after 15 years
Turbine has announced that they are to cease development on their long-running MMORPG Asheron's Call.
It would be hard to be an MMO fan and not know about Asheron's Call as the game has been running for the best part of the last 15 years and now Turbine, who also make Lord Of The Rings Online and upcoming MOBA Infinite Crisis, have decided to move onto more current projects.
They made the announcement on the Asheron's Call forums explaining that "players should have the expectation that updates will be limited to maintenance, bug fixes, and perhaps balance iterations". It's not the end for the venerable MMO as it still has a vibrant player community.
Turbine will keep the game up and running for the moment but they will also be working with the community over the course of the next year to teach folks how to set up and run their own Asheron's Call servers.
- Thomas Was Alone gets a release date for PS4 and Wii U
- New Warframe update adds space-flight to the gameplay with Archwing mode
- New poll indicates that people believe online gaming is “the least welcoming space” for women
- CD Projekt RED releases The Trail, the opening cinematic from The Witcher 3
- New Project CARS trailer pulls up to the starting grid
- Far Cry 4 dev says linear games will suffer in the new world of gameplay video sharing
- Almost 1,100 developers, students and journalists sign the new #gamediversity petition embracing diversity in games
- Felicia Day breaks her silence about #Gamergate, is almost immediately doxxed
- Ubisoft announces PC specs for Assassin's Creed: Unity and they're killer