Gilbert to assist Penny Arcade game
Monkey Island mastermind Ron Gilbert is to help inject a little more wit into the new Penny Arcade videogame, titled On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, to be developed for the PC by Hothead Games. The PA chaps are already benefitting from Gilbert's extensive experience in developing narrative-driven games, the veteran designer having cut his teeth during the heyday of Lucas Arts' point 'n click adventures.
"We had our first meeting with Ron pretty early in the design process. Tycho and I were getting the story fleshed out and we had some ideas about the design and overall pace of the game," 'Gabe' wrote in a PA update.
"We laid it all out for Ron and then he picked up a whiteboard marker and started teaching class. I'm not sure how many people can say they got a game design 101 course taught by Ron Gilbert, but that's exactly what Tycho and I got that day. His insights into the way you move the player through an interactive story so that they get to explore the world but don't lose the narrative were incredible."
The update thanked Gilbert for his input and noted that PA are 'ridiculously lucky' to have him assisting with On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness: Episode One.
"I have been a fan of Penny Arcade because I have always found their comic so funny and biting," Gilbert added on his new project. "When I first heard they were making a game and that they had chosen to weave adventure game elements into it, I knew immediately I wanted to be involved. Working with the Penny Arcade guys and the team at Hothead has been an absolute riot."
The game promises to feature all the favourite characters from the popular web comic, with Tycho and Gabe at the centre of it all. More as we get it.
- BioWare's David Gaider moves from Dragon Age to a new secret BioWare project
- Cross-Buy coming to Windows 10 and Xbox One staring with Zen Pinball FX2
- Bungie knew about Destiny's loot cave before launch
- This year's BAFTA Games Awards to stream live on Twitch, watch it here
- Harmonix confirms Rock Band 4 coming to next-gen consoles this year
- Wasteland 2 also coming to the PS4
- Block 'N' Load gets a final launch date
- Elite: Dangerous is a timed exclusive on the Xbox One, PS4 version is coming too
- Phil Harrison rumoured to be leaving Microsoft