Gilbert to assist Penny Arcade game
Monkey Island mastermind Ron Gilbert is to help inject a little more wit into the new Penny Arcade videogame, titled On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, to be developed for the PC by Hothead Games. The PA chaps are already benefitting from Gilbert's extensive experience in developing narrative-driven games, the veteran designer having cut his teeth during the heyday of Lucas Arts' point 'n click adventures.
"We had our first meeting with Ron pretty early in the design process. Tycho and I were getting the story fleshed out and we had some ideas about the design and overall pace of the game," 'Gabe' wrote in a PA update.
"We laid it all out for Ron and then he picked up a whiteboard marker and started teaching class. I'm not sure how many people can say they got a game design 101 course taught by Ron Gilbert, but that's exactly what Tycho and I got that day. His insights into the way you move the player through an interactive story so that they get to explore the world but don't lose the narrative were incredible."
The update thanked Gilbert for his input and noted that PA are 'ridiculously lucky' to have him assisting with On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness: Episode One.
"I have been a fan of Penny Arcade because I have always found their comic so funny and biting," Gilbert added on his new project. "When I first heard they were making a game and that they had chosen to weave adventure game elements into it, I knew immediately I wanted to be involved. Working with the Penny Arcade guys and the team at Hothead has been an absolute riot."
The game promises to feature all the favourite characters from the popular web comic, with Tycho and Gabe at the centre of it all. More as we get it.
- Valve's Chet Faliszek has been confirmed as the first developer session for EGX Rezzed 2015
- One area from Zelda Wii U is as big as the entirety of Skyward Sword
- Telltale's new collaboration is with Mojang, on a Minecraft story game
- Franklin voice actor indicates GTA V story DLC is on the way
- Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire and Bully sequels will come when the time is right says Rockstar
- Telltale teases another collaboration with another game developer
- New Company Of Heroes 2: Ardennes Assault trailer recognizes the 70th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge
- New Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare trailer focuses on character customization
- Splash Damage's free-to-play shooter Dirty Bomb coming to Steam in the new year